Stock Pitch

LC Smith

I have a new Browning White Lightening in 16ga and it seems to shoot low. When I mount it, I can’t really see the front bead. I only see a minimal amount of the rib. Is there an ‘easy’ method to help determine the amount of negative pitch necessary to get the point of aim up?

The issue may not be pitch. The pitch of the stock is not the only factor in the elevation of point of impact.

I would first determine if the comb is too low for you.

Check this reference:

Raising the comb can be accomplished a number of ways.

Two of my guns have one of these:

Cheek Pad for Rifle and Shotgun Stocks Leather Black Cheek Riser Comb Riser

https://a.co/d/9u4P4Me

Last edited:
The issue may not be pitch. The pitch of the stock is not the only factor in the elevation of point of impact.

I would first determine if the comb is too low for you.

Check this reference:

Raising the comb can be accomplished a number of ways.

Two of my guns have one of these:

Cheek Pad for Rifle and Shotgun Stocks Leather Black Cheek Riser Comb Riser https://a.co/d/9u4P4Me
Thanks, John. I appreciate the input and the article. I'll start trying to determine the thickness necessary in the comb raining pad.

If you insist on keeping it, see if you can get a huggi wiggled on from the barrel end to where your cheek rests. Pattern by mounting the gun with you eyes closed, put the bead on a mark and fire.

Dang I should have elaborated. cut the bottom out of huggees. shoot at about 8 steps with target elevated like a bird in the air. Shoot until you get a hole blown through the paper. that's your average point of impact. You can experiment with different thicknesses of huggees. This way you wo't

Thanks for sharing that excellent article John..........another great reference is the Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald. He states comb dimensions are the most important, since they position the eye. The book also shows how to pattern and correct for various issues with stock fit.

Attachments

• Stock Drop at Comb.jpg
    Stock Drop at Comb.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Stock Comb Adjust Math.jpg
    Stock Comb Adjust Math.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 5
I've thought about one of those pads for one of my guns, but it doesn't have enough cast off and the pad would only make that worse

Thanks for sharing that excellent article John..........another great reference is the Stock Fitter's Bible by Rollin Oswald. He states comb dimensions are the most important, since they position the eye. The book also shows how to pattern and correct for various issues with stock fit.
Mathematically, it is amazing to see what just 1/8" will do.

I have a copy of and have read Rollin Oswald's book. My children bought it for me last Christmas.

The information in the book is an excellent source but it is a difficult read.

Last edited:
I have a copy of and have read Rollin Oswald's book. My children bought it for me last Christmas.

The information in the book is an excellent source but it is a difficult read.
agreed John - while the book focus is on the importance of stock fit & the 5 dimensions that represents, it also covers eye dominance, shooting stance, shooter confidence, etc.

as a side note, and before acquiring this book, some time ago I Purchased a used Friends of NRA Sporting Clays Browning Gold. When it arrived home, it was obvious the prior owner did a lot of shooting with it, and didn't care to clean it very often - so stripped & cleaned with Flitz and elbow grease -beautiful gun. Then when I put the stock back on, noticed the stock had cast and palm swell - The prior owner put a custom stock on it (and didn't mention this on his listing)! So researched cast, and fortunately the guy was a right handed shooter (cast off). So off to our field with our clay thrower - that gun just smoked em' - then doves in our field later that fall with same result. I learned a lot from just that experience, how cast can center your eye down the sighting plane, etc...........and how lucky I was that it worked out -Once I discovered the stock had cast, my first thought was - worst case scenario is to buy another stock - not a big deal..............really did luck out...............

Attachments

• P8.jpg
    P8.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 5
agreed John - while the book focus is on the importance of stock fit & the 5 dimensions that represents, it also covers eye dominance, shooting stance, shooter confidence, etc.

as a side note, and before acquiring this book, some time ago I Purchased a used Friends of NRA Sporting Clays Browning Gold. When it arrived home, it was obvious the prior owner did a lot of shooting with it, and didn't care to clean it very often - so stripped & cleaned with Flitz and elbow grease -beautiful gun. Then when I put the stock back on, noticed the stock had cast and palm swell - The prior owner put a custom stock on it (and didn't mention this on his listing)! So researched cast, and fortunately the guy was a right handed shooter (cast off). So off to our field with our clay thrower - that gun just smoked em' - then doves in our field later that fall with same result. I learned a lot from just that experience, how cast can center your eye down the sighting plane, etc...........and how lucky I was that it worked out -Once I discovered the stock had cast, my first thought was - worst case scenario is to buy another stock - not a big deal..............really did luck out...............

Funny thing...I have an old Winchester Model 50. I purchased it 5 or 6 years ago at a pawn shop in Bay City, Michigan.

The stock has been rasped or sanded for cast-off or right hand cast. It is my go to gun for skeet, sporting clays and doves.

I never noticed the cast until I looked at it on a skeet field this summer while discussing gun fit with another shooter.

Back