Still birds out there

bauerline

Took the afternoon off and went out with the dogs. Found two roosters and put this one in the bag:
11-17-2011.jpg

Nittany and Blitz with their prize:
11-17-11.jpg

Nice. Looks like it was a good day.

We haven't had Winter hit here yet, but it's coming.

How are your dogs in hard cold?

If they keep moving when it is cold out they are fine. When they stop running they start to shiver a little bit. But they are on the go most of the time so it is not a problem. The cold will affect me more than it does them.

You bet, there are still birds out there! In fact we like this time of the season so much we took another week off starting next week. We had some good work last weekend and plan on a full week of work starting Saturday right till Buck season. There are a lot less hunters and you can get some real quality dog time in, it doesn't get much better than that.

Brian, do you hunt the late season?

I have hunted the late season a few times on the SGL above Carlisle but I have had bad experiences there with other hunters so I don't go there any more. I live in a rooster only area that does not have a late season so I hunt on a preserve several times instead (well, more than several but who's counting). Good luck on your week long hunt and let us know how you made out.

Well we have been doing pretty good,Saturday we hunted the swamps of Wayne county and did pretty good. This morning it didn't take Dugan long to lock onto a rooster and I was lucky to finish it, not long after that he flushed another rooster that flushed to low to offer a safe shot. It was a great morning hunt! Dugan has been at the top of his game and if he scents pheasants their done, period!

Sounds like a good couple of days. I have not been able to get out the past several days but I did see two hens and two roosters today when I was driving home. I know they are some of the birds that escaped when the snow ripped the nets on the pen that is close to my house. Too bad most of the birds are on land that I can't hunt on. But I did grill up some quail I shot earlier this year from a preserve along with some shrimp my father-in-law caught in Florida. They were quite good. Good luck during this last week. I'm not sure if I'll get out anymore or not this week but I would like to try. A lot of it depends on the weather.

Took the dogs out today for what is most likely the last time until rifle season is over. The dogs worked well and found 5 pheasants. But they were all hens so no shooting on them. They also found a couple of quail on the day. There is no quail season in my area but it is still nice to see the dog work and the birds fly. The quail are from a johnny house I was able to put up on a club's land. We also saw 5 doe and some ducks fly over during our outing. It was a good day with points on birds and birds flying. The only thing missing was the shooting. At least I don't have to clean anything. Good luck on the last few days of the season.

We just got in, what a wet mess! No roosters today, but we did flush a bunch of Woodcock, that we didn't shoot at!
Brian, sounds like you had a great hunt, your dogs finding and pointing five pheasants this time of year is real good stuff!

What are everyone's plans for the rifle Buck season next week?

They were not able to point all of the pheasants. They had about 2 or 3 points on the hens and a few more on some quail.

Did those woodcock suprise you or were you not after them? We didn't find any woodcock today. The area I found some this year is under water now and is more suited for a duck.

I plan on hunting on a friend's land next week that is close to home. I'm just looking to fill the freezer and will take a doe if I get a chance. Good luck next week! I'm sure your dog will be going nuts when you leave and don't take him with you. I know mine do.

We decided not to shoot the little buggers today! We already have a freezer full of pheasant and grouse,but next time out we could change our mind! LOL

Good luck Monday for deer, and be safe!

Back