Stickers

brittboy

Banned
Was my dog the only one that got a foot full in 5 seconds after getting out of the truck? He got used to the boots today. Got that going for me!! Only saw two roosters and they flushed well out ahead. We shall give it a try another day.

Goat heads?

Not too many issues with them this past weekend. They seem to be more of a problem along the edge of the road and in ditches and abandoned homesteads, although, I did come across an entire field of them. We nicknamed the area "goat head field". :)

I always carry my Leatherman to remove goat heads and cactus.

Was my dog the only one that got a foot full in 5 seconds after getting out of the truck? He got used to the boots today. Got that going for me!! Only saw two roosters and they flushed well out ahead. We shall give it a try another day.

I actually got into the goatheads so bad, one punctured the tire on my SUV. Didn't know it until I got home with nearly a flat tire. I made a concerted effort to make sure my dog got in and out of the truck nowhere near those things.

Not as many as last year

Started my dog off in boots on Sat because of the issues we had last year, but I didnt have any issues with the stickers this year. The boots on the other hand... poor dog will need a couple of weeks off to recover from some raw spots where the tape slipped off under the boots. :(

You might have tried this already but I wrap the dogs leg just above the paw to the ankles with the stretchy bandage tape, then tape the top of the boots to that. Seems to keep the boots on and from rubbing the dog raw.

I have not tried this method, but have heard from some field trialer friends of mine that it works very well. They use this method when their dogs are running trials through cactus and also fields with lots of goatheads.

You might have tried this already but I wrap the dogs leg just above the paw to the ankles with the stretchy bandage tape, then tape the top of the boots to that. Seems to keep the boots on and from rubbing the dog raw.

Back