Steel Shot

As long as the IDNR continues to allow copper and nickel plated lead shot as legal alternatives on public and state lands, I have no problem with it.

Pheasants forever copper plated lead shot is as low as $11 a box. Much cheaper and more lethal than steel.

I prefer the #5's.

I hate steel shot, but understand the enviromental concerns. I have started using hevi shot, expensive but works well. Since our pheasant population has taken a nose dive, $2.70 a pop shouldn't hurt to bad.

While hunting public around Algona, we were checked by IDNR officer and I inquired about the use of the pheasant forever endorsed nickel and copper plated shot. When I showed the shotshell box to the officer he stated that plated shot was legal on public areas. In other words, he did not state we couldn't use it there. The officer informed us that the plated shot is legal because the lead is not exposed and would be expelled before it is ingested. I guess I am just reporting what he shared with us.

I will handload lead in boxes marked bismuth and defy one to prove me wrong. If they do so be it. Non tox is BS, always has been. A feel good solution to a problem that doesnt exist.

I'm not sure- how many fowl have died because of ballistic ineffieciency? Tell you what- I'll tell you which field I fire an ounce and a quarter of 5 shot over and I'll eat whatever pellets from it you can round up.

The studies that were done on waterfowl ingesting lead proved enough of a case to make non tox the only option for waterfowl, however until someone can provide a study showing Pheasants and other upland game are ingesting enough lead to cause death, I will not accept the blanket notion that we should all be using non tox by law. I have no problem with anyone choosing to do so on their own, but don't just pass a law because it sounds good.

Just my opinion, but sitting in a duck blind where the shot fallout will be in a concentrated area is much different then walking the uplands and the shot fallout from an occasional shot being scattered throughout.

FWIW

Back