Steel Shot

DarbyWhoa

I love Fiocchi Golden Pheasant loads, but I need to shoot steel this coming year where I'll be hunting in NDakota. I have minimal experience with steel. Any recommendations out there?

Thanks!

Darby -- If your shooting a 12ga then go with 2 3/4" #2 steel loads. Yes, smaller steel pellets will kill them but research done by Roster on steel pheasant loads concluded that #2 steel out performed #4 and #6 steel loads at all ranges. You should be able to google it and read it for yourself.

If you're shooting a 20ga then a 1 oz load of #3 (to keep pellet numbers up) or #2 steel will work just fine. In the Roster study, he concluded that #3 steel would be a good load.

In a 12ga, I use the Rem Sportsman 2 3/4" 1 1/8 oz #2 steel load with SK/Mod chokes in an O/U. Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of their performance.

Patterning results from a 12-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels using Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" REMINGTON SPORTSMAN HI-SPEED STEEL LOAD
1 1/8 oz #2 steel (139 pellets) @ 1,375 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 116 (84%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 114 (82%)

In a 20ga, I use the Rem Nitro Steel 3" 1 oz #2 steel load or the Win Drylok 1 oz #3 steel load with SK/IM chokes in my O/U. Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of their performance.

Pattern results from a 20-gauge Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

20 GA 3" WINCHESTER DRYLOK STEEL LOAD
1 oz #3 steel (145 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 114 (78%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 106 (73%)

20 GA 3" REMINGTON NITRO-STEEL LOAD
1 oz #2 steel (118 pellets) @ 1,330 fps
30 YARDS / SK / pattern 101 (86%)
40 YARDS / IM / pattern 99 (84%)

Good luck.

PS: Here's a link to a write-up on the research.

http://www.nodakoutdoors.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67889&mobile=on

Last edited:
Thoughts on using a 3" shell? I noticed you only mentioned 2 3/4

Nothing really wrong with using 12ga 3" loads for pheasants, I just don't. And as you can see from my pattern numbers, I just don't need to use them.

While I shoot some pheasants with 12ga 2 3/4" loads, most of my pheasants have been shot with 20ga 3" 1 oz loads. The 3" 1 oz load allows me to get adequate pellet numbers.

Using 12ga 3" 1 1/4 oz loads of #3 or #2 steel would give you more pellets to start with and, depending on your patterns, they may provide increased pattern density. Of course, they usually cost more and have more recoil, too.

Good luck.

Steel shot

The latest Pheasants Forever magazine has an article on lead vs steel. They pump up the praire storm load.

Personally, I use 3" No. 3 when I use steel in 12 ga., overkill if the pointing dog does her job, but sometimes the birds just dont hold well and get longer shots, that is when it comes in handy. Like the saying goes... "I didnt come this far to miss.." I like the speedier stuff, 1450 fps and up.

The Heavy Metal load also works VERY well and is non-toxic, little more expensive but dang it does the job. I would use a skeet or IC choke if you can, it seems to shoot tight..have blown up a few birds that were a little to close...

On question, why do you need to use steel shot in ND? Unless they changed the rules, most of the PLOTS do not require steel.

I am not an expert, but that is what seems to work pretty good for me..

I will be hunting a property littered with small ponds. I'd like to have steel with me in the event I get into some ducks.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait for my first Ndakota trip

Joe Hunter great info, thanks for posting that. Any help with steel shot on doves with a 12 gauge. Pheasants Forever does indeed pump up the Prairie Storm in all of their issues, and you hear about it at meetings, its almost like they are footing the bill for anything to do with pheasants. Fiocchi is what I use and I have never heard a complaint from a dead pheasant yet.

i think federal makes a donation to PH for each box sold on the praire storm line. Yep the Fiocchi are good shells, a buddy of mine used the 28 ga. load and would just smack em with it, pretty impressive. 1 oz load of copper 5's I think it was, they darn sure killed the birds!

All will work good if you do the most important part..but the shot on the bird...
good luck and good hunting!

odenny -- If you are using nontoxic on dove, #7 or #6 steel will easily kill them if you match the choke and pellet for the distance you're shooting AND if you can put the pattern on the bird!

For dove shooting out to about 40 yards, #7 steel is all you really need. However, if you're going to regularly have 40-plus yard shots, then a 1 oz load of #6 steel is probably hard to beat.

Here are a few of my pattern numbers to give you an idea of the kind of performance you might get with those loads

Pattern results from a 12ga Browning Citori with 28" Invector-plus barrels and Briley flush chokes (patterns average of five, 30" post-shot scribed circle, yardage taped muzzle to target, and in-shell pellet count average of five).

12 GA 2 3/4" WINCHESTER XPERT STEEL LOAD
1 oz #7 steel (437 pellets) @ 1,325 fps
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 363 (83%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 286 (65%)

12 GA 2 3/4" WINCHESTER XPERT STEEL LOAD
1 oz #6 steel (306 pellets) @ 1,325 fps
30 YARDS / IC / pattern 261 (85%)
40 YARDS / M / pattern 222 (73%)
40 YARDS / F / pattern 229 (76%)

Good luck.

PS: If you will go to the Texas Parks & Wildlife web site you will find a study that was done on the effectiveness of different pellet types for dove shooting. Interesting reading if you like that sort of thing.

Joe Hunter great info, thanks for posting that. Any help with steel shot on doves with a 12 gauge. Pheasants Forever does indeed pump up the Prairie Storm in all of their issues, and you hear about it at meetings, its almost like they are footing the bill for anything to do with pheasants. Fiocchi is what I use and I have never heard a complaint from a dead pheasant yet.

Bet them wounded birds wish you had prairie storms??? Or Winchester long beard xr... I thought bthey were gimic tried em in #5 2 3/4 killed a few hail Mary should not of shot 3rd shot birds also having a compatint retriever is key..

Just mess with you about the wounded birds don't want anyone else pissed off lol. Happy hunting...

I have been looking for some time for steel shot that I can shoot with the confidence I have in lead so I don't have to switch back a forth between public and private ground and I found it this year. A year ago while at Sportsman Warehouse I ran across the Kent Upland Fast Steel. I picked up a couple of boxes of the 2 3/4", 7/8 load, 6 shot. I carry an O/U 20 gauge and I found these shells to be very effective. I only lost one bird last season and almost all the rest brought down (dead) on the first shot. Up until now I carried two vests one with lead and one with steel. I don't know how many times I would be out in the middle of public ground posted non-toxic shot and realize I was wearing the wrong vest. For me a very bad feeling.

Kent makes two versions of the fast steel shell a Duck version in 3"shell and an Upland version in 2 3/4". I have found the 2 3/4" shells are all that is needed for pheasant. The only place I have seen the Upland shells is at Sportsman's Warehouse. They cost me about $13.00 a box. They come in 4, 5, 6, and 7 shot although I have not found them in 6 shot the last two times I have shopped there. If you are looking for a shotgun shell with steel shot that you can shoot with the same confidence you have with lead try a box or two of these.

My hunting partner shots #3 1 oz loads in his over and under 20 and kills plenty of roosters. I prefer #6 early and #4s later, 2 3/4" 1 1/8 1300-1400 fps in my 12 ga. Steel shot works great, IF you hit the bird (where the corns goes in not where it comes out, LOL). I haven't shot a rooster with lead in decades.

I will be hunting a property littered with small ponds. I'd like to have steel with me in the event I get into some ducks.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait for my first Ndakota trip

DarbyWhoa, not sure what you mean? If you want to hunt waterfowl you can't have lead in your possession in the field. Doesn't matter if you shoot the ducks with steel if you have lead with you a warden will ticket you.

Back