Starting habitat work

ford

I'm looking at putting in some new habitat. Looking for suggestions on grass mixtures? Also of 220 acres how much should be food plot, trees as compared to grass (nesting and winter cover grass)? Already have 3 major water sources across the property with a good stand(5 acres) of cattaills in 2 different spots( i wish they wer bigger) around the water. The property is it is surounded by farmed fields on 3 sides and a 640 acre hay field/pasture (depending on what the land owner uses it for) to the north. Still in the planning stages but work will begin this spring.

Oh man, I'm jealous. You've got some fun ahead of you:thumbsup:

What other habitats are within 1 square mile of you property? Is your property going to be the only other habitat within the area?

The neighbor on both east and west has a little cattail slough 2 to 3 acres at the most. And that's pretty much it.

I am super excited and wish winter would end so I could get started!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like a nesting/brood rearing area is what you need--say about 25 acres plus all in one spot--really the more the better but at least 25 acres--look around on this site and I'm sure you can find a good mix to plant. A decent stand of trees and shrubs would also be very helpful as a hard winter shelter. I have a 5 row wind break of cedar, Russian Olive and shrubs and it will still drift badly in a heavy snow wind storm--the more rows the better.

An excellent source of help is the local county FSA office and a Pheasants Forever regional field Rep (in SD Mike Stephenson 605-651-1273 or E mail mstephenson@pheasantsforever.org) There are also PF biologist working hand in hand with the state of SD right out of regional GF&P offices--Mike should be able to find the one nearest to you.

Good luck and thanks for stepping up to help :thumbsup:

Having the three water sources is great! Not only for the water but for the plant diversity and cover the moisture provides. Also the water courses continue to downstream/upstream properties. I'm guessing yours is not the only pheasant habitat in the area.
Food plots next to the cattails would be a good start. Sorghum, Thickly planted corn, small grains stuff like that. Corn stands well during heavy snows.

I would go with lots of grass mix nesting and brood cover.

Trouble is with FSA is you will go by their rules. Mowing, spraying, plowing, all native etc.
You want pheasant right. :thumbsup:

I would NOT plant a grassland without including heirloom alfalfa varieties and sweetclover. These plants add so much. Flowers, protein, insects and canopy to protect nests and broods from storms and avian predation. Not to mention a year round food source.

For grasses, switch grass and side oats would work well with the legumes.

I like the idea of planting square patches of woody cover. Say in your acreage four patches 3-4 acres or so. Cedars wild plum, buffalo berry, choke cherry. And yes Russian Olive is probably the most "pheasant friendly" shrub there is.

Awesome :thumbsup: Sounds like fun. The area will support several , well most any grass. I would include with the above the switch of a couple variety's, Dakota, forestberg, both little and big blue, and indian grass. And make sure you tell them absolutely 0 Canada or virgina rye, speer grass etc. Or any variety on meanseeds.com No sense in putting in the stuff that will harm your hunting partners with 4 legs.:thumbsup: Can't wait for your pics down the road.

The neighbor on both east and west has a little cattail slough 2 to 3 acres at the most. And that's pretty much it.

I am super excited and wish winter would end so I could get started!!!!!!!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what part of SD are you in? You can PM me if you'd like. I know of an area/property can take a look at and model your property after it (if you're near there and can make the drive):confused:

The property in mind doesn't have a whole lot of neighboring habitats (like yours) yet it produces good numbers of birds by providing water, a food plot, nesting, winter cover/shelter, shelter belts, and some wetland areas all into one property:).

Having the three water sources is great! Not only for the water but for the plant diversity and cover the moisture provides. Also the water courses continue to downstream/upstream properties. I'm guessing yours is not the only pheasant habitat in the area.
Food plots next to the cattails would be a good start. Sorghum, Thickly planted corn, small grains stuff like that. Corn stands well during heavy snows.

I would go with lots of grass mix nesting and brood cover.

Trouble is with FSA is you will go by their rules. Mowing, spraying, plowing, all native etc.
You want pheasant right. :thumbsup:

I would NOT plant a grassland without including heirloom alfalfa varieties and sweetclover. These plants add so much. Flowers, protein, insects and canopy to protect nests and broods from storms and avian predation. Not to mention a year round food source.

For grasses, switch grass and side oats would work well with the legumes.

I like the idea of planting square patches of woody cover. Say in your acreage four patches 3-4 acres or so. Cedars wild plum, buffalo berry, choke cherry. And yes Russian Olive is probably the most "pheasant friendly" shrub there is.

what kind of cover is in the Open Fields from hell that you turned me on to??:eek:
Was that some kind of clover?

what kind of cover is in the Open Fields from hell that you turned me on to??:eek:
Was that some kind of clover?

UplandHntr, that was something else wasn't it? :)

I bet the pheasants are Wintering well in that stuff.

That was a field that was disk up in the Spring, an old patch of CRP. For whatever reason did not get planted into crops.
You don't kill the grasses and legumes by disking. For whatever reason again, that piece wasn't spayed either.
So, that is what came back in there. All that leafy stuff about 30 inches tall was Sweet Clover and Alfalfa.
The brown dried stuff 3-4 feet tall that was so hard to walk in and hard on the pups was weeds mainly wild sunflower.

That stuff was a pain to hunt, but WOW! was it pheasant friendly. :cheers:

UplandHntr, that was something else wasn't it? :)

I bet the pheasants are Wintering well in that stuff.

That was a field that was disk up in the Spring, an old patch of CRP. For whatever reason did not get planted into crops.
You don't kill the grasses and legumes by disking. For whatever reason again, that piece wasn't spayed either.
So, that is what came back in there. All that leafy stuff about 30 inches tall was Sweet Clover and Alfalfa.
The brown dried stuff 3-4 feet tall that was so hard to walk in and hard on the pups was weeds mainly wild sunflower.

That stuff was a pain to hunt, but WOW! was it pheasant friendly. :cheers:

I 'overnighted' there along the RR tracks a couple of nights. It was something to hear all the cackling at sunrise. Choked full of birds! :10sign:

I 'overnighted' there along the RR tracks a couple of nights. It was something to hear all the cackling at sunrise. Choked full of birds! :10sign:

Being that was an "Open Fields" it could have all been done just for the birds and hunters.
It will be interesting to see what 2014 will bring to that property. It is privately owned.
I can still picture the flock of pheasants that exploded from the NW corner, crazy. :)

Back