Standing Rock Reservation

GWP14

Has anybody hunted standing Rock reservation? Would you suggest hunting it or stay clear? If so is there any cabins to rent for a reasonable price around or on the reservation? Looking to do a 7 day hunt in South Dakota the day after Thanksgiving. Hunted north east all public last year. Just looking to change it up this year.

We hunted it last year for 4-5 days. It was ok, but you will want a guide in my opinion. The land is a real patchwork of different types of land, tribal and non tribal. All of them have different rules and some of the local non-tribal people are not very friendly to you wanting to hunt land that you maybe perfectly legal to hunt. There are birds there, no doubt about that. But in my opinion, by the time you pay a guide and the license is more than out of state SD license ($225 w/grouse stamp) I think there is better hunting elsewhere. That being said, we had fun and got some birds.

There are definitely birds, but like stated above, with out a good map or a guide it is impossible to know where you are legal to hunt.

Another issue is finding decent lodging and food. Mobridge is probably the best place to stay, but the food and lodging is rough there. Most of the locals that we encountered did not seem to care for us, and some were outright hostile. To be honest, this is an area of the world that I plan on avoiding unless absolutely necessary.

PS: Lock your truck and bring everything into your room with you at night.

Back