!st time to SD

DitchParrotFan

Hey guys, just got connected to the site, it looks awesome!
My 12 year old son, Myself and a hunting buddy are planning on coming out to SD the week of Thanksgiving with our 2 brittanys. I went to ND last year for the first time with our 8 month old Brittany and had a great time. I heard SD is even better. We just do not have a good idea where to start. We plan on hunting public land, our thoughts were Webster or Mobridge but, those were just shots in the dark. Any information would be greatly appreciated. We're really looking at starting a annual event that we can create some good memories.
We have been doing a lot of grouse and woodcok hunting so far in NE Wisconsin but, we're really getting fired up for some good ditch parrot hunting in SD.
Thanks in advance
- Jim :cheers:

there is alot of walk in places around mobridge. that will give you lots of options but not sure of the birds around there.

I've never hunted the Mobridge area but what I do know of the geography suspect the cover (big block CRP) may be better suited to hunting with pointing dogs. Also likely to increase your odds for some bonus sharptail contact.

I have hunted the Webster area and this is squarely in the pothole/lakes area of NE SD. Lots of the public land but a good % of it is thick wetland and wetland boarder cover that to me is more flusher cover. NE SD has lost CRP acres at a very fast rate the last couple years and this will further tip the balance.

Not sure if this is the case in Mobridge but have hunted the Webster area for about six years now and can say without a doubt the hunting pressure is increasing every year. To the point the last couple years I have been steadily migrating and spending more time farther west.

Plenty of birds in either area to keep a dog and hunter happy I'm sure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. That is a great point about the CRP versus the wetland. Also i'm willing to drive further if it means less hunting pressure. We are coming out from Mondaay to Friday just to avoid the weekend hunting pressure. I will focus on the Mobridge area then. As I look at the SD GFP hunting atlas there seems tp be a lot of public land around Eureka, Akaska and SE of Gettysburg. I know the first couple of years are the investment years but, getting in the right area from the start is huge. Thanks again!

Back