Springer Spaniels

ryerick

I have a 2 year old female who never had much training but does decent in the field. I just purchased a male who is 8 weeks old and adorable. I really want to work with him but not sure how I should start or at what age? We live in South Dakota and will only hunt pheasants. Thanks!

We get started right away with the hup sit come and retrieving stuff. Short sessions. retrieve drills should be kept to 2 or 3 tosses and quit.Always quit before they start getting distracted and always wanting more. do it again later up till they are teething then nothing during that period. It is nice to let the pup wander in some nice shallow water at this age as well, they will swim so much better if introduced early, but let them go in on there own it may take a few times , important not to push em and keep all things fun. after a few weeks we start 1/4ing them in the field if they are picking up what you are throwing. We call them back and fourth between two simulated gunners without the guns and the handler in the midle. Spread out about 10 yards on each side to start and when you wave a dummie or dead pigeon in the air the pup runs to the gunner and he tosses the bird out front always to keep from developeing back casting. we go back and fourth with this and then soon will be able to get them 1/4ing back and fourth a few times before tossing the bird. When the are doing this well and bold we use live clip wing pigeons doing the same thing for awhile. Then we start planting them, when the pup is chaseing well on sucker birds and fly aways we intro the gun on a tossed clip at a distance. If no issues we move closer then plant and shoot the flyers to them.
Not sure how far away you are but you are welcome to come and train with us , we have a small group that trains regularly for field trials. Alex MN area.

For context on timing, I've got a young springer that I've been training along the lines of what FCSpringer outlined above, and I'm just getting to the part about introducing gunfire now - he's 5.5 months old. You could certainly progress faster if you have the time and regular access to birds of course. Personally I've spent a whole lot of time working on obedience (hup and come primarily) since I got my pup and I feel like that's been really helpful as we've gotten into the field.

Back