Springer Hunt?

cedahm

Hi all, transplant from the Colorado board here.

I picked up a Springer WMA tag this year to be able to take my old retired Brit out for a relatively 'light' hunt. He can't hack the big CRP and Ag fields anymore, so this seemed like a good way to get him on a couple birds.

Has anyone done this hunt before? Seems like a pretty straightforward deal - check in and go - but I know virtually nothing about it except where it is :)

It is a great area. should have lots on birds. I have not hunted it for many years but back in the day it was good.:thumbsup:

I know it closed the 6th of Nov... Had some friends go and was very good.... One time limit of 3 or 3 birds per season. Cover was heavy...

Hunted it 3 years ago and it was good. There are quite a few walk in areas around Yoder as well that were good and not huge areas. Good luck, would like to hear how your hunt went.

:cheers:

Hunted it 3 years ago and it was good. There are quite a few walk in areas around Yoder as well that were good and not huge areas. Good luck, would like to hear how your hunt went.

Sorry gang - I forgot to check back in on here. I hunted the first non-youth day @ Springer (10/23). I brought the old retired boy out with me.

When you pull in to the main station, you check in and are assigned one of the parking areas (believe there are about 10 of those). They asked if I had a dog, and then sent me to lot 3 - which is on the NW side of the area. There was a group of 5 with no pups, an older gentleman and his wife, me, and 2 groups of 2 with dogs. First bird that Pete pointed was a hen in some cattails. Nearly 35 years of not shooting hens meant I just stood there and watched it until I remembered they were fair game :)

In short - we ended up walking a ton through some awesome cover to get our 3 birds. We finished up and I was able to get some on film on the walk back to the truck.

Wyoming GF puts 360 birds out the night before each hunt and there are some wild birds mixed in as well as some escapees from the local bird farms. The guy who checked me out confirmed that I had 2 released birds and 1 wild bird.

I compared it to a game farm hunt, but one on ground that is as big and lush as Cherry Creek State park. I will definitely do this again. Absolutely perfect for an old dog that can't bust around all day in the CRP anymore, or for a young pup.

If you already have the WY license, it's well worth the few extra bucks. I also drew a Glendo permit, but decided to go to MN to my childhood deer camp last weekend so didn't use that one.

Old Boots - I had the walkin maps in hand and there is a lot of decent looking ground in that area. I will definitely check that land out soon since I've got the stamp already.

Here's a pic of the old man with 2 of the roosters:

IMG_2171 by cedahm, on Flickr

Glendo is a waste of time. imho those birds are planted and the perditors get them pdq. coyotes are thick at glendo.

Glendo is a waste of time. imho those birds are planted and the perditors get them pdq. coyotes are thick at glendo.

JMAC, why do they close Springer so soon?:cheers:

Thx for the update, sounds like a great time and a great picture. If you are heading up in Dec let me know, would like to hunt that area again.

Old Boots

They usually close the springer just before goose season opens.

Glendo can be fairly decent, but it is full of cockle burrs and stickers, if you have a long haird dog, they are going to be a mess. Also, most of it has a bunch of willow trees and the birds run wild in those, often so thick the birds have a hard time getting up even if they want to and the dogs have a hard time hunting them.

I hate the willows, and the colder it is, the better those dang things are at nicking your ear as you go through them!

Some years the cover is decent outside the willows, the last 2 years it has sucked. The birds do have a hard time there and darn sure plenty of predators, they usually stop stocking the birds around the 1st week of December, so the pickens get pretty thin but there were at least 8 birds still living on Dec. 31st..unfortunately they were still alive on Jan. 1st or at least were the last I knew.

Back