Spring pheasants

ROCK

Just wanted to give my fellow Illinoisans an update on central Il.'s pheasant counts.While turkey hunting this past weekend the # of roosters crowing was sometimes crazy!!Seems alot of birds have made it through the winter.I took the dog with my this past Sunday and after I was done being humilliated by the local turkey population,I let her run in one of the fields I hunt in.She pointed 3 roosters and on hen.The hen was sitting on a clutch of 12 eggs!!
Hopfully she come back to her nest and needless to say,I won't run her in the fields for a while.Hopefully we don't get any real bad weather of a while and there will be a good sucessful nesting field.

Rock, got the same good news up here in N. Illinois too. A lot of cacklers out there. We got pounded with some flooding rain in the fields last night. As it was coming down late last night I was up wondering how those nesting hens were going to fare. Hoping they weren't flooded out! Time will tell.

Pheasants

Haven't hunted pheasants in Illinois for many years, grew up hunting them across the street. Now there isn't a farm in the whole town. Most of my hunting now is in Kasnas and Northern Missouri.

Does anyone know if there are pheasants around the Peoria/Chillicothe area? I know there is a few quail and the last family reunion I had a hen crossed a gravel road outside of Chilli. Appreciate any help!

Smoothbore,I haven't heard much about that area,but if you find good cover there should be at least some birds around.I know there are good populations of birds Northeast and Southeast of Peoria.Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Pheasants

Rock

Will be heading that way this fall to visit family and hunt a few fields, and will let you know. Should I find a honey hole I'll send you a PM.:) Thanks for your help!

down here in east central IL it looks promisinig to actually have a year of increasing population instead of a decrease... been seeing quite a few birds and if I was a betting man I would bet a few hens have had second hatches because I have seen a WIDE range in sizes of youngsters

Petrey10, that's great news. News I've not heard for quite some time now in Ill. Up hear in N. Ill. I've only seen a few pheasants.

Got some news from my dad the other day he had two roosters in his back yard. Can't wait to hit that spot up in the fall. Last year I flushed two dozen or so with many first year roosters. With all the rain (spring 2009) I thought for sure the nests got flooded out but some how those tough birds managed to nest seccessfully. Hopeing for the same this year. :)

Petrey 10,

Great news. However, it is a myth that a hen pheasant will have a "2nd hatch" If her first nest gets destroyed then she will re-nest. However, a hen won't raise a brood, leave them and then raise another brood. What you are seeing is just different stages of chicks with some renesting.

down here in east central IL it looks promisinig to actually have a year of increasing population instead of a decrease... been seeing quite a few birds and if I was a betting man I would bet a few hens have had second hatches because I have seen a WIDE range in sizes of youngsters

Fifty or more years ago before radio-telemetry (radio-tagged hens) the "second hatch" was a big debate. Radio-telemetry proves that it does happen, but it is rare and the conditions must be right.

The second hatch or "Double-Brooding" is rear, but it has been documented in two publications. I will give the two references just for back ground information.

1. "A Natural History of the Pheasant" by Peter Robertson. Read page 66 of that book and the author explains that in areas of the world where spring starts early and summers are long and mild a second hatch can occasionally happen. A Danish biologist in New Zealand (using radio-tagged hens) found that hens can very occasionally rear two broods in a single year.

2. "Experimental Pheasant Restoration Project" Go to page 49 of that study under the Nesting section. Two radio tagged hens in the wild in that study produced a second brood after successfully hatching the first nest.

Texas panhandle farms have for years said that their pheasants have a second hatch, in wet grassy summers. But in dry years (like 2008 poor dry land wheat) poor hatch or no hatch at all.
2010 was an El nino year in Texas wet snowy winter and wet spring (when I say wet not the kind of wet that drowns chicks but the wet that produces green vegetation and insects).The panhandle wheat was tall and green (lot of vegetation) in late March with warm weather in March and April. The wheat was not cut until mid June.
The hen pheasants could have easily hatched a brood by the first week of May 2010.
I am sure that parts of the mid west had a mild wet spring.

Main point the second hatch is rear but when conditions are right it can happen.

Preston1,

I stand corrected. Thank You. As a hunter of the region in question (East Central IL) for 30 years, I would say as you stated it would be very, very rare for a hen to have two broods in a year but it can happen.

"A Natural History of the Pheasant" by Peter Robertson. Read page 66 of that book and the author explains that in areas of the world where spring starts early and summers are long and mild a second hatch can occasionally happen. A Danish biologist in New Zealand (using radio-tagged hens) found that hens can very occasionally rear two broods in a single year.
2. "Experimental Pheasant Restoration Project" Go to page 49 of that study under the Nesting section. Two radio tagged hens in the wild in that study produced a second brood after successfully hatching the first nest.
Main point the second hatch is rear but when conditions are right it can happen.

Excellent post Preston1. Thanks. While on the subject I have something to through out there. A few years back I heard from a guy who insists that some SD biologist discovered that if a hen re-nests/lays a second round of eggs, the second brood will be almost ALL hens. I've never read or heard anything like this before and I'm really skeptical. Any insite on this one?--1Pheas4

Back