spring burning of grassland

blackcloud27

that time of year again. how late do you think dnr and feds should be allowed to burn grasslands. they have done it in late may in north central iowa last couple of years. i hate seeing nest of burned out eggs of ducks while turkey hunting. i understand it needs to be burned from time to time but cant see why it has to be done so late. would rather see it set one more year if it is to wet to do it before pheasants and ducks are nesting.

that time of year again. how late do you think dnr and feds should be allowed to burn grasslands. they have done it in late may in north central iowa last couple of years. i hate seeing nest of burned out eggs of ducks while turkey hunting. i understand it needs to be burned from time to time but cant see why it has to be done so late. would rather see it set one more year if it is to wet to do it before pheasants and ducks are nesting.

BC, my opinion is anytime a burn can be done do it. The tradeoffs of burn vs. casualities is always justified. Not enough grasslands are burned and hence the ultimate wildlife value is not realized. Most habitat practices that are beneficial longterm have short term casualites or detrimental effects.

Spring burns when the cool season grasses are vulnerable are often the best time to enhance the more favorable warm season grasses. It might also be more prone to knock back brush if that is a problem.

Back