Speaking of Reloading -Shotshells

Does it make sense to reload 12 or 20 gauge trap loads anymore? I have a MEC 650 and I cant seem to make the math work anymore for reloading. I have a bag of shot with a $15 price tag on it. Last trip to the gun store the same bag was north of $ 40 bucks.

I get it for the subgauge stuff( 28,410).

I admit that the cost to reload is close to the price of many of the over-counter loads but most of those fall into the category of "promo" loads. The top target loads, Rem, Win, Fed, are usually several dollars more. I still reload for trap but also purchase top quality factory loads if the price is right. I quit reloading for hunting since I do not shoot enough at game to make purchasing those components cost effective.
I enjoy the reloading process and also am trying to have my grandson become competent in the reloading areas. I reload a small amount of pistol ammo for the same reasons.

i load 1oz shells for about $4 per box, buying components in bulk is the way to go if you can. shot is the expensive part of the shell, i have used quite a bit of re-claimed, it works good enough for what i need and it is about $10 per bag cheaper.

I can understand questioning reloading given the price of some of the off the shelf promotional loads. But they are bottom line shells with quality to match. One can make far better reloads than those. I've been reloading for decades and like the ability to make my own custom shells. I have a very nice European SXS that I would be leery of shooting full power commercial loads through. But I was able to establish pheasant loads that met the velocity and pressure levels I was comfortable with and threw the patterns I wanted from each barrel. Given that some high end hunting ammo approaches $20.00 a box, I know I can beat that by miles. Plus even my run of the mill practice loads are more like high end target shells than the dirt cheap promotional stuff.
The saying used to be that one reloaded to save money. But in my experience I find reloading most useful for shooting top quality ammo made literally to my specifications.
I have so many componants stockpiled from over the years, it is impossible for me to establish what my cost per box is. But I imagine I can easily beat even the cost of the promotional ammo. I recognize someone starting up today might not be able to, but there is more to it than just a cold bottom line cost per box. Besides its fun to make and shoot your own ammo

The $40+ bag of shot, and now NO powder is absolutely killing shotshell reloading, and forcing folks back to buying those $5.99 promo specials at the Mart Marts. My only loading now is 7/8 oz. 12-Ga target loads, which you won't likely see in the store, and a few 7/8 oz. 20's.

My son shoots on a trap team. We have our price per box down to $4.50 per box. The only shells that compare to what we load are the Win AA and the Remington STS. So he gets to shoot 2 boxes for the cost of one. The other thing about the loader is I make some assome pheasant loads. An 1 1/8oz 12 gauge load going at 1420fps is my goto load. The cost per box is still the same $4.50 instead of $15.00. I would not be without a loader.

Greatlawn

It is cheaper to reload your own, but you have to shoot a lot to pay back the initial cost of the reloading press and other accessories. In terms of finding hulls to reload, you can usually find them for free at shotgun ranges, but you need to make sure of what brand you are reloading. The lyman reloading manual is an excellent resource for deciding what to reload, but in general you want to avoid hull that have separate bases inside the hull.

Winchester Shotshell Wads 12 Gauge WAA12L 7/8 oz

Does anyone know why it has been so difficult to get Winchester wads?

reloading

I haven't noticed any problem getting win. wads, I see them around but you can get the same for less money in some of the generic. the problem I have is no powder period for shot shell loading. because of the promo 20 ga. shells at the marts I quite loading for my 20 ga. wasn't worth it. loading for so called pheasant loads it saves me at least $10/ box. without reloading I could hardly afford to shoot my 410 and 28 ga. ga guns. I can load a much better shell than can be purchased in a hunting load. the clays and doves I shoot it doesn't matter the quality, most anything works. biggest diff. in the promo shells is the wad and lead with little to no tin in it and those things make them a shorter range shell.

cheers

I have been reloading my Rooster Boosters for almost 20 years. I think it is a bit cheaper than buying factory. However, the best part is that while loading, I am thinking about the SD trip, the friends and the good times. One bag of shot and a pound of powder gives me about 250 rounds and that lasts for several years. It would last longer, but I am usually feeding 2 other guns besides mine.

Back