Southern Iowa Public

fritter417

Sunday a group of five counting myself went down South and hit some public fields. We seen six roosters and 12 hens but all flushed off the back side of the field once we started in. I ended up with one rooster for the day but was very impressed with seing that many birds down south. We are heading back out this sunday coming up and will update everyone on how this weekend goes.

Years ago I hunted south of Atlantic and for a few years near Carroll. We had no problem getting permission to hunt on private land and the pheasant population was adequate.

Have not returned since 1992...

For the past 9 years i have hunted south of Atlantic and have had really good luck. We started our opening weekend in the same area. We went all day with not even a flush. Early in the morning we seen a small covey of quail which was a breath of fresh air. I have noticed over the last couple of years that a lot of cover has been taken out as well as a few of the crp fields had been burned over the summer. Hopefully it can bounce back because i do like the farmers that i have met over the years.

Back