south of Yuma

wilson

I hunted south of Yuma today , wow, was it windy and cold.
Saw 40-50 birds , only about 15 were hens.
I only took 2 dogs so I could do some training ,a 3 year old and a 1 1/2 year old , both Tomoka dogs.
The young pup finely turned the lit on and started handling the birds like a seasoned dog.
what a great day ;put a young pup on that many wild birds in one day.
The young dog was tracking birds in in the big wind like it was calm clear day.!

I brought home 3 cocks ; had them by noon but didn't head home tell 2.

BTW, I must be getting old ; my shooting s*cks; i missed 4 good shots befor
I limited out.

Hi Wilson, have some contrary news for your good report. We hit the southern Yuma WIAs on 12/3 and saw two roosters and one hen, no shots fired as they rose far away. Hunting pressure looked heavy as there was orange at every location we went to and saw other footprints in the snow. Think the way to go is take a day during the week when nobody is around.

One dog, two hunters, strong and steady wind with snow blowing in our faces...should have been great, dog got birdie several times but no excitement. Tried a back corner of a wheat field pivot opposite a corn field for our early hunt...hunted a few hours then moved a ways north. Never could shake the crowds and didn't see long feathers sticking out from game backs either. I have a vacation day in my hip pocket, we'll see how that works!

Back