South of Yuma

wilson

Took me all day but shot my 3 birds ;a little windy but a nice day [thur]
Saw 15 rusters and 4 hens.
It's hard to say if i would have seen any birds with-out my 5 dogs running at once but it makes me mad when they spoil a shot ; i think i'll only run one dog at a time for the next few hunts.

Nice limit. I tried hunting with 2 dogs once and I was so busy and anxious watching them that it was not an enjoyable hunt. Maybe you get used to it, but 5 dogs? Madness......

Great job Wilson!
I was out Wed and saw about 12 birds, bagged the only rooster close but was happy with the area!:cheers:

chie

chie and jake pinning a bird
062-1.jpg

Last edited:
pheasants

just got back from a nother hunt today and I was trying to post pic, without any luck ; only hunted 2 dogs today and saw 3 hens and 25 roosters - wow was it hot , only wore a coat for the first hunt .
took tell 2:00 to get my limit but i did have to shoot 15 shells ; i think something is wrong with my gun or shells/

Really?? I bought my Andy from a guy named Rick, but I lost all of his contact info unfortunately, he's a good guy. When we picked out Andy there were 3 other males but no Females, Rick told me there were sisters but that they went with someone else. Your female sure did get a lot more of the Tri colors. Really pretty lady!!

Maybe we will have to reunite them someday???

:laugh:.... Well, Shat! How have you been?? Yea, I lost all of your contact info last spring when my cell phone crashed. You'll have to private message me it all again and maybe we can get together this year and chase some birds??? :cheers:

Andy cut his chest pretty good, but he should be ready to go after this weekend.

Just curious are you hunting private or WIA? I hunt south of Yuma quite a bit and I have yet to see the number of birds you are..... last time out I did not see a single bird :(

Took me all day but shot my 3 birds ;a little windy but a nice day [thur]
Saw 15 rusters and 4 hens.
It's hard to say if i would have seen any birds with-out my 5 dogs running at once but it makes me mad when they spoil a shot ; i think i'll only run one dog at a time for the next few hunts.

birds

this week it was all walk in stuff , last week and week before i hunted both walk-in and rooster roundup stuff.
My hunt is 460 miles with 360 there and back and 100 miles on the dirt ;i'm there at sun-up and most of the time i'm heading home between 2 and 4.

Sounds like a lot of miles , but it is only $80 in my truck and lets face it. a day watching the foot ball team is that much.

3 birds =6 lb's of meat =about $13 a lb-------good T-bone is about the same

Not quite that far of a drive for me 300 miles round trip then what ever I end up driving on the dirt between fields. But my truck is lucky to get 13 MPG so it adds up fast. I am not sure if I will head out again this year or not. Not seeing a single bird after hunting hard all day sun up to sundown has me a bit discouraged.

Stel67, do you have a dog or two?

I wish, no I hunt solo no dog I went out opening weekend and I did ok. Got 4 birds over two days. Should have had 5 but it was not to be. I do my best to cover as much of the fields as I can and generally I do see decent amount of birds. This was the first time I have ever been skunked pheasant hunting and first time that I have not seen a single bird. Now that I think back on opening weekend after I got my last bird at 11:30 I did not kick up or see any more.

Nice looking Setters, they both on point or is one honoring? I have a little "Closet" Tri-color Setter, still trying to figure out her shoulder issue so I can hunt her again. Maybe next week after some weather we'll get out. I recived my ooster Round up hat and maps and will try some of the old spots again. If I see a lone guy hunting behind 5 dogs I'll stop and chat....

Back