South East Iowa

gspwings

I just got back from hunting around What Cheer and the Oskaloosa area over the weekend. After a good increase in birds the past 2 years I was really excited about this year. However very disappointed in the hunt birds seemed down a great deal we hunted Friday thru Sunday and only put up maybe 1/4 of what we saw the past two years. I'm sure the heat played a role as well, I ran into a few other hunters who thought the same. Maybe we will drive back over later in the season and try it again, good luck

We are hoping the lower than expected numbers of birds that we have seen are heat related also........

We hunted East central Iowa hard for four days, four of us with 4 good dogs, and was able to get up 5 birds 3 of which were hens. Very hot, and a lot of the corn was still in the fields. The birds we did get up were in the tall thick grass. We ran into some super nice farmers that asked us if we wanted to hunt their property. We had more property to hunt than time would allow. We never saw another hunter out there. Did I mention how thick the grass was?

I got a lot of buddies that hunt the mahasksa county area and they have all told me birds in that area are down,,that entire area ahs lost ALOT of habitat. I'm shutting down until the weather cools way down.

Back