South Dakota Thanksgiving week trip.

5 stand

For the past three years the dogs and I have hunted the week of Thanksgiving. We've had good weather, and not many other hunters. The first day we hunted (Monday) I killed an older bird that had some pretty good Spurs. Tuesday hunted pretty much all day, it was cloudy and had two birds that I didn't identify until they were too far. It was their lucky day. Wednesday my older dog Teal found a covey of Huns, that was the highlight of our day.
Thursday (Thanksgiving) it was our lucky day. Had an easy morning and we're done by 11:00. Made it to Perkins restaurant before they closed and had turkey and dressing with free pie. All in all I had a very good trip. Seemed to be more birds this year, I think I saw roosters every time I got out of the truck. South Dakota such a great state. Counting down the days until next year.
Pictures to follow.

PS. Tuesday right after I got out of the truck. 5 pheasants flew out of the edge of this field and into some cattails, I wasn't sure they landed but maybe. On approach one rooster got up wild. Two roosters let us get a little too close, two shots two dead roosters feeling pretty good about things. We rounded those two up, and moved on to see if there was another. At the far end the cattails, we found another one. He got up about 35 yards and for some reason I put twice the lead that was needed on all three shots. Didn't even kill a feather. He cackled (laughed) the whole way out of there. I'm going to call it Rooster fever!
It's not about the pheasant meat, it's about the heartbeat!

Last edited:
For the past three years the dogs and I have hunted the week of Thanksgiving. We've had good weather, and not many other hunters. The first day we hunted (Monday) I killed an older bird that had some pretty good Spurs. Tuesday hunted pretty much all day, it was cloudy and had two birds that I didn't identify until they were too far. It was their lucky day. Wednesday my older dog Teal found a covey of Huns, that was the highlight of our day.
Thursday (Thanksgiving) it was our lucky day. Had an easy morning and we're done by 11:00. Made it to Perkins restaurant before they closed and had turkey and dressing with free pie. All in all I had a very good trip. Seemed to be more birds this year, I think I saw roosters every time I got out of the truck. South Dakota such a great state. Counting down the days until next year.
Pictures to follow.
Nice report and photos.

Back