South Dakota report week of 11/1

Hunted the North Central part of the state with my Dad last week. All public land. The plan was to drive out Monday and hunt the remaining four days.

We ended up leaving a day early. I anticipated things to be tougher habitat-wise thanks to the reporting on this site. What I failed to understand was just how much impact that would have on the pressure on public lands. I’ve hunted the Dakotas for the past 6 years, and I intentionally take time off to hunt during the week in hopes of encountering a little less pressure than the weekends. I have never ran into so many other hunters on public land in my past years. Less spots left to hunt due to the drought and in increase in hunters from last year is my opinion. We ended up finding a concentration of birds on an evening hunt, probably in the 50-100 range. It’s always so cool when you get into those situations. These birds were also extremely flighty. My Dad and I have well trained dogs and we hunt quiet. I also attributed these birds’ behavior to pressure. We drove by the next day and a handful of vehicles were parked on multiple sides of the piece hitting it so it was not these birds’ first rodeo 😁.

Things were definitely tough, and the constant pressure got to be a bit much, but we bagged a few and had some success resorting to right-of-ways in order to avoid pressure. In the end I enjoyed being out in the field and got some valuable time to decompress from day to day life which is ultimately what matters most. Just thought I’d share my experience, best of luck to you all out there!

I agree with the added pressure this year. I've been hunting the same spot in SD for the last 25 years and staying pretty much in the same motel. I was always the odd duck out at the motel, usually 16 or so trucks there and I was the only pheasant hunter, The others were water fowl hunters. This year the same amount of trucks but everyone of them was a pheasant hunter. WOW, big surprise for me. I still had a great time and hunt, fell one short of my bag limit. Just my observation on the number of hunters this year.

I agree with the added pressure this year. I've been hunting the same spot in SD for the last 25 years and staying pretty much in the same motel. I was always the odd duck out at the motel, usually 16 or so trucks there and I was the only pheasant hunter, The others were water fowl hunters. This year the same amount of trucks but everyone of them was a pheasant hunter. WOW, big surprise for me. I still had a great time and hunt, fell one short of my bag limit. Just my observation on the number of hunters this year.
I know people don’t like to give away their spots but what area of the state were you hunting jmuller19? I head out to SoDak the 20th and just trying to get an idea where to start. Sounds like from the first post north central is a little tough.

Sitting in the motel. Rain started at 11.
Only 1 bird today. Not sure if rain will stop in time to hunt anymore today.
First day hunting was Sunday. First place was a quarter section I've hunted for 20 years and one of my favorites. Birds held, dogs did what their supposed to do, hunters surprisingly combined to shoot pretty good. 2 man limit.
Second day had to work much harder. No Birds by noon but managed to get our limit again.
Third day about the same.
Observations. Over 3/4 crops out. Quite a few public areas hayed. Pretty unusual for this time of year but not many hunters.
Bird numbers decent and they are bunched up. Seem to be more roosters than hens.

Back