Something special about South Dakota

Bob Peters

I've upland hunted 3 states. MN IA and SD. I've been lucky enough to hunt SD on 2 trips. Both times were great. Birds were never a given and honestly I had more struggles than anything. But there's something that reinvigorates the soul getting out there 1,000 miles from nowhere, trying your damndest to find some wild birds for you and your dog. You really can't put a finger on it. The isolation, beautiful country, gravel roads, friendly people, wild places. It's way too much to ever nail down in words. Oh, and the wind. It wouldn't be a trip to South Dakota without the wind. I've got some tentative plans to make it out this fall. And I got a new starter put in the old truck. So Lord willing I'll be out in the Mount Rushmore State sometime this fall. And if I make it and I'm lucky enough to walk that wild open country, then I'm lucky enough.

i've hunted pheasants in nebraska, kansas and SD. as my kids would say, "SD just hits different."

Last year was the first time i was able to hunt SD 3 times in one season. i did a freelance public land trip at the end of October, a hybrid 2 day public/3 day guided private land trip in December, and a guided private land hunt the last weekend of January. After all was said and done, I believe I logged about 6,500 miles of driving to SD and back. when we left SD on the last day of the January hunt, i told my self I was content with the season being over and was ready to pack up all my gear away until next fall. it took about 3 weeks before i started making plans for the 2024-2025 season.

ive already sent my deposit for the annual guided hunt in mid-November, and booked an AirBnB for a week in October. Over the last couple of weeks, I often find myself trying to remember where I put all my gear, and planning the meals I'll have once i'm back on the great plains.

Only 17 more fridays until i pack up and head north.

gps4 says: "i've hunted pheasants in nebraska, kansas and SD. as my kids would say, 'SD just hits different.'"

a unique aspect of SD over KS and NE is that there are actually birds there

Last edited:
Back