Some Days Just Go Better Than Others

walk213

This trip was fantastic and it probably ends my season. I walked 8.9 miles in just over 6 hours, and executed on my only 3 opportunities of the day. We saw a lot of birds, but the vast majority of them spotted us before we could get close. Echo and Josey did really well in locating the only birds that held tight.

I do regret taking the second-to-last shot on the last rooster. I was focused on the bird, and I didn't see Josey in my peripheral vision. Thankfully, we escaped without anything bad happening. This is the second questionable shot that I have taken over the last 3 seasons. That can't happen.

That is the thinnest upland bird habitat I've ever seen.

Nice shooting on that second one. Looked pretty far.

Great video and nice shooting, agree with gimruis that is pretty thin cover can see why most of the birds blew out ahead of you.

Great video and nice shooting, agree with gimruis that is pretty thin cover can see why most of the birds blew out ahead of you.
Thanks for watching They have been seeing us coming since opening day. I love a challenge, but it has been difficult to get within shooting range this season.. I think that I am done for the season. See what happens.

Thanks for watching They have been seeing us coming since opening day. I love a challenge, but it has been difficult to get within shooting range this season.. I think that I am done for the season. See what happens.
Think I found the soundtrack for my next hunt!!

That is the thinnest upland bird habitat I've ever seen.

Nice shooting on that second one. Looked pretty far.
So bad and sad. That's a 2 year drought. The birds have very few places to hide. I witnessed 100+ birds bust from a plumb thicket....and we were 250 yards from their location.

Thanks. I should have whacked him on the first shot. I am glad that I composed myself on shot #2.

If you’re truly done for the season it will certainly end on a high note. Good video as always.
But are you truly done? The field is hard to give up….
Matt

If you’re truly done for the season it will certainly end on a high note. Good video as always.
But are you truly done? The field is hard to give up….
Matt
Thanks Matt. The farm that I love to hunt is prohibiting hunting on 1/1. I have other private permission, but it is bad this season. The cover is so limited. I evaluated a lot of public access yesterday. If I were a pheasant, I would not live there. It was real bad. I looked at 10 fields and I was not motivated to leave the truck. I love to hunt with my dogs. Maybe I will try again.

I am going to take Josey (3) to a game farm.... without Echo. She needs to have the spotlight on her.

Ive been trying video but my gopros have been acting funny and my patience with them is short. Loved it when they worked.

Ive been trying video but my gopros have been acting funny and my patience with them is short. Loved it when they worked.
I've struggled with this one (version 7 or 8). Pissed me off so much that I refused to upgrade. I spent a lot of money so I deal with it.

Back