Snowstorm

ilphezhunter

Guys I'm looking for a little help as far as how the recent snowstorm affected the Mott/Regent area. My dad and I are headed to that area Dec 4th thru the 9th. How many inches did you receive and how do you think the road conditions will be next week?

Side note if any one will be out hunting and would like to combine forces we would definitely be interested.

Thanks for the help.

Brian

Mott

cant tell you much as I live 450 miles away... the roads should be no issue, as the weather forecast calls for little snow between now and then... I have no idea how much snow they got.
You might reach out to the Co- Op in Regent or where ever you are staying for more advice.

We are about 30 miles away. Got about 15 inches. High roads will fine by then. Prairie trails will be drifted. Right around us tree rows, cat tails and ditches are all full of snow. Today we hope to get out of our place and get to town for the first time since Sunday.

There are several reasons that SW ND (banana belt) has higher pheasant counts.

Typically a milder winter than most of ND (both temps and snow) is one reason.

The other reason is the higher number of working ranches. These ranches attract and hold a lot of pheasants in a part of ND that simply does not have the same amount of "natural" winter cover as other parts of ND and SD.

The pheasants in much of SW ND head straight to these stock yards and nearby shelter belts. Seeing 100s if not 1000s of pheasants will NOT be an issue, but unless you know (family, friend, pay) these ranchers ... hunting them will be difficult at best.

There are some good winter hunting areas that are unposted or more likely public, but getting there can be problematic once winter sets in. I remember in the 80s ... we would walk 1/2 mile or more in snow just to get to where we wanted to start hunting.:eek:

so true, feedlots and farmstead wind breaks will be packed with birds.....chances to hunt them will be slim. this is their typical winter survival areas, most landowners shelter them and even spread grain nearby to get them through the heavy snow months....main roads and county line roads will be the only thing passable.....i would sure opt to hunt in areas that revceived a lot less snow. :thumbsup:

Exactly. I have a couple places I tried today. Saw a ton of birds. Got two. Third escaped in a run under the snow. To me this is fun, hard work hunting. But I wouldn't drive 50 miles to do it.

Back