Snow

Should have 2 or 3 inches of snow close to home to hunt in the morning. Sounds like it’s coming in a big way Tuesday with some heavy snow in places and 40 mph winds.

Can anyone give me a snow report? Any new snow in the last few days? How about snow still on the ground? I am heading out for one last trip mid week to NorthWest/Central and Southwest.

Can anyone give me a snow report? Any new snow in the last few days? How about snow still on the ground? I am heading out for one last trip mid week to NorthWest/Central and Southwest.
North central Ks got a little bit Friday. I think sw Ks is supposed to maybe get a little bit today. That round the first of the week was heaviest I think in the central part of the state from maybe lyons east.
IMG_3673.png

Here in the very NW corner it covered in heavy snow. Most roads look good until you hit where it drifted. Some drifts are manageable but others are pretty bad. Tried getting into a draw I know that holds birds but turned back at a crossroads when they way I was headed was drifted over. Couldn’t even tell there was a crossroad except for the street signs.

Birds need to be left alone in this cold with the heavy snow cover. We had nearly 10 inches last Monday then another 2 inches Thursday then another inch Friday night. CRP fields are nothing but snow. Splitting up quail will make it hard for them to survive.

Tried to hunt in Morris, Dickinson and Marion today. Drifts were 4-6’. Never got to walk a field, just couldn’t go anywhere that we have permission on.

Not nearly as much snow in SW part of the state and warmer temps. Definitely got into birds but they were more spread out. Didn’t seem like there were quite as many, but still really fun late season hunting. Optimistic for next season for both regions that I hunted if Mother Nature cooperates.

Back