Snow depths near Geddes/Armour

Birddog23

I know they are getting some snow back there today, but does anyone know what they have for snow
right now? I hunt on private ground back there, but nobody's back there to tell me anything regarding
walking/hunting.

I know they are getting some snow back there today, but does anyone know what they have for snow
right now? I hunt on private ground back there, but nobody's back there to tell me anything regarding
walking/hunting.
Go to "Weather Street.com. Looks like 8'' or more based on their map. No info regarding how difficult it is to walk through!

Just left there yesterday, probably about a foot plus in grass and sloughs with a crusted top. Not hard enough to hold the dogs, very hard on them and me

Dang! I was holding out and wanted to get away from the City.
Too bad this always happens on the weekends I have scheduled, in advance to get back there hunting.

There were plenty of birds, but I think because of the crusted snow they were unable to get under cover, running ahead and hardly any holding for the dogs.
Also walking was very noisy

There were plenty of birds, but I think because of the crusted snow they were unable to get under cover, running ahead and hardly any holding for the dogs.
Also walking was very noisy
What were the road conditions in that area? Limited? Were you able to hunt sloughs? Assume the birds weren't running in the cattails.

Assume the birds weren't running in the cattails.

A rooster can & will, if he so desires, run at lightning speed through nearly any cover in any conditions. Many inches of pure powder might slow him down some, but that condition, while not necessarily rare, is very short lived. Takes very little compression or crust for a pheasant to sprint on top. I believe when people have success in cattails with fresh snow, it's primarily because fresh snow makes your approach quieter, allowing you to get close before they have a chance to hear you & run or flush wild. The first good snow of the year (4" or more) may make pheasants a little discombobulated, but that too is very brief.

Last edited:
Sloughs had a lot of snow blown in with a crust on top, they were running in there, A5 is right I’m sure it was because the crust made it very noisy and they could run on top of it.
Been hunting there for 40 years and never had birds run like they were last week.
Most roads were passible

Back