Snakes are still out - probably not a surprise to anyone

Just an FYI, while hunting huns last evening, the dog and I "met" a rattlesnake. Fortunately, the dog has a been to "snake school" (and/or luck), and no one was harmed.

I saw a red-tail hawk carry one off the week before while driving to hunt.

It has been smokey here for 6 weeks (at least). Bring on some colder weather and prec. (rain or snow, baggers can't be choosers!).

Although I've never seen one hunting in Montana, this year may be different with a relatively warm opener. I've had Morgan to snake avoidance class but don't know how long that memory lingers. Good post to remind everyone Montana isn't Ireland.

Early Sept while in MT I saw several on the roads. When the weathers been hot then cools down especially at night the snakes like to warm up in the mid day sun.
While walking a path in tall grass a few years back I stepped on something round, like a stick. I look back and here's this monster in attack mode. I was a little beyond his range. He was well within my range. :eek:

I've come across just a few while hunting. Always on the Sept trips, perty sure I've not come across a Ratler in Oct.

The problems I have had hunting in the area around Winnett and Glascow are with porcipines. I've removed them by cutting off the ends and pulling em out with tweezers. I don't know of any school to teach a dog to stay away from those critters.

The problems I have had hunting in the area around Winnett and Glascow are with porcipines. I've removed them by cutting off the ends and pulling em out with tweezers. I don't know of any school to teach a dog to stay away from those critters.[/QUOTE

They use the same school here on snake and porcupines. I haven't used the porcupine schooling but I assume it works (averse conditioning).

I don't think it is worth the time to cut them, I just pull them. Others may not agree?

It's heartbreaking but just pulling the quills out is all I've done with other people's dogs. I don't see what cutting the end off would do to help the process since, although hollow, they aren't under pressure. The barbs stick no matter what.
A good multi tool is something everybody should carry while hunting and is as good or better than forceps if the jaws fit together properly.
A lot of times something breaks off and festers. Have a course of antibiotics available to give the dog if an infection occurs so you can deal with the problem after you get home and not ruin your trip if it's over several days. Personally, I keep 4 courses in my vet kit.

Rattle snake bite

A couple of years ago my oldest GSP was bitten by a rattler at the Tounge River reservoir. After +35 years of hunting upland birds in MT, perhaps I was due for an encounter. An extremely painful and expensive (over $2500) process to save that pup! His head swelled to the size of a bear.

I have heard mixed reviews on the "avoidance" training and I am not convinced the vaccine is effective. Lets hope for cold weather so the snakes den up.

Saturday is almost here---Ya'll be careful out there!!!

Rain then snow forecast for Plentywood area mid week. temps in the low 20's. Won't bother the porkies by the snakes won't be out.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help on treating against the porcipine problem. From now on I'll be more prepared.

I'll bet she stays away from now on.

Unfortunately, don't be so sure. I've been around dogs that do it over and over. Maybe they think it's all in getting the right grip to avoid the quills or maybe they want to fight because the last one hurt them and they want to hurt it. I don't know but some just don't seem to learn the lesson.
Thinking back on it, the two I can remember most clearly was a GWP that got quilled, we pulled them out with lots of snapping, blood and pain and after it had a drink of water wanted to go right back into the thicket for round two with the porcupine. Another was a big Weimaraner that would run to grab the first porcupine every year but not another...that year. Maybe it's just German breeds?

Last edited:
Back