Snake bite

Bob Peters

This has been covered ad-naseum, but what do you do if your dog gets bit by a poisonous snake. I realize Benadryl is a no-brainer. I've heard mixed reviews on anti-venom and if it works or is worth it. I suppose for case of this discussion rattlesnakes are always the biggie in pheasant and grouse territory.

I live by a lake in NW Arkansas. We have a couple different rattlesnakes, water moccasins, copperheads and coral snakes(I've never seen one).
Local vets do not have/keep anti venom...as far as I know. The neighbors dogs that have been bit got IV's and anti biotics...maybe steroids. They've all survived that I know of. Cats that were bit all died.

I've read that Benadryl doesn't do anything for snake bites but I have it in my truck. I also get my dogs rattlesnake vaccines. I know some say they do nothing as well but they are relatively cheap and if nothing else...it makes me feel better.

When I am out of town on longer hunting trips, I have a file with my dogs shots, medical history etc., in my truck and I find a local vet and give them my dogs information....before I need their services. I've had emergencies with my dogs and answering questions and getting them medical records....takes time. I also load the vet address into my GPS so I don't waste time trying to find their building. I hunt by myself most of the time and I bought a Final Rise vest last year so I can put the dog in my vest to immobilize them and carry them to the truck, as quickly as possible

I think being organized, not wasting any time and getting them to a vet as soon as possible is about the best thing we can do for our dogs that have been bit or hurt.

I just took my dogs to a snake breaking clinic a few weeks back. The gentleman that owns the snakes and does a S.E. reptile rescue, says don't bother with Benadryl and just get to the vet as as possible. I asked about the vaccination he said that was also a wast of time and money. Plenty of information out there and you hear both sides. I don't plan on the getting the vaccination but haven't taken the Benadryl out of my truck or hunting vest.

If you're a pod cast guy there are plenty out there on this topic. Many seem to contradict themselves, though. I carry Benadryl (among lots of other things), solely because I've heard a handful of vets say if nothing else, it will calm them down. I would not waste time giving it if it took time away from getting to the vet. Everything I've read, or listened to, says getting to the vet ASAP is the most critical factor. My female will bark like crazy and stay well away from a snake skin. I wouldn't worry about her. I don't think either of my males would shy away from a snake, though.

Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna listen to that podcast tomorrow. I would administer benadryl either way, it is cheap and won't cause any harm. But yes God forbid a dog ever got snake bit on a hunt, I'd be off to the vet ASAP. I always enter vet info into my hunting notebook before I make a trip to new territory. Sometimes the worry would be travel distance when out in the boonies in short grass prairie out west.

Back