Small party hunting large grain fields.

sas

Would love to hear some tricks for small party to hunt cut (plowed) grain fields when the birds are feeding. I know some people do it successfully but I don't know the secret.

I've never had much success hunting large grain fields. Most of the fields in my area of the state you can look down each row and the birds can look at you. Also the sand burs bother my dog. If you chose to hunt grain fields look for something that is weedy and has alot of cover, weedy wheat stubble, milo that still has its leaves after the head is harvested or some forage sorghum that still has good cover.

I have heard it can be done also, but you need a small caliber rifle. Or maybe an offroad vehicle. :eek: What's that??? Oh, a legal and ethical way??? Yeah, I can't think of anything either...

If it was me, I would probably try to just push the birds into cover that they might hold in, and then hunt that cover. A couple guys and dogs can run a lot of birds out of a harvested field. I don't see how three guys could effectively "hunt" a large field, but they could pretty easily push the birds into a draw and effectively hunt that draw. We did that a lot last season and it works well. Good luck.

Last edited:
Would love to hear some tricks for small party to hunt cut (plowed) grain fields when the birds are feeding. I know some people do it successfully but I don't know the secret.
I always hunt with small groups and we hunt 40 to 80 acre patches all the time. First thing is walk against the rows so the birds don't see you as easy, and try to be quiet. Second try and weave back and forth through the field and push it to a corner, preferably into the corner that the wind is blowing from. Stop every 20 to 30 yards and wait for a few seconds, this makes the birds get nervous and they may flush or freeze up and quit running giving you a chance at a shot over point or a close flusher. Have at least one blocker in the corner of the field that is standing a ways off of the field and make sure that the blocker stays low and still to help avoid detection from the running birds. As soon as you get the field pushed to the corner, send another blocker to the other end and push it back a different way, still weaving and stopping as you go. Alot of thimes if the birds run around your group they will freeze up and hold since you didn't pursue them when they escaped the first time, it gives them a false sense of security. Walk as slow as you can also, this isn't a race to get to the other end of the field. Good Luck, I know that these tips help my group and I'm sure that they will help your group as well.

A great friend and a great pheasant hunter dropped a golden nugget for me one time. I'm reluctant to share it, but helping someone else to be successful in the outdoors is key to retaining hunters for the future of our sport.

Either way, he told me to try walking across the rows, instead of walking straight down them. I tried it and couldn't believe how well it worked, ESPECIALLY in the wind. Walking across the rows when you're tired can be a chore. It really helps me keep my dogs from running out the end and it seems the roosters aren't sure which way to go. I've done it by myself and I've done it w/ a group of 6. We did really well with the small group also. It was the last day of season in a corn field. We walked about 200 yards across the corn rows and shot 5 pheasants. I don't walk straight down the rows anymore. I've rarely found it to be effective in small groups.

I didn't know Kiotehntr was responding to this question at the same time. I didn't intend to echo his response as I didn't see his response until I submitted mine. He made a great point that I forgot to add. Walk slow and stop frequently!!

I have had very good success kiliing roosters in dirty milo fields.

I'm a solo hunter but always have a lab on the ground. I start by sticking to the edges always try to walk into the wind across the rows. It's slower going for me, but more importantly, it slows down my lab which allows me a much better shooting opportunity. I have seen my dogs race down a row after a runner. Just takes a couple of seconds, next thing you know, there flies rooster 80 yards out.

lefty

grain fields

kio and kb are these cut corn fields we are talking about or standing corn if its cut how do the birds not see you

If you can get permission, walking railroad track edges with good cover is good for small groups. Just stay off of the center of the tracks.

Lots of good tips above. I prefer hunting in small groups, 3-5 guys, we do well in dirty milo, always try to push to a tight corner, waterway, weedy draw, etc. Like has been said, stop often, walk slow, change directions a bit. I wish I could follow my own advice on stopping and walking slow...

cut corn

how do the birds not see you and how in the world would you ever grt one to sit still to kill in the field of corn they wouldnt see you?

Only a point, if you walk into the wind and walk quietly you will get many many outstanding close shots. I have bagged more roosters than I can count using this method and it seems like the birds don't know you are even there until it is too late. Maybe the birds are busy feeding or just day-dreaming, you will have to ask them.

wow

man i tell you what the birds i hunt must be super smart because they are gone i have seen my dog come down on point in the c ut but time i get there i know they have already ran out now i have killed them in maybe waste high corn but never cut with no cover im still confused on this one ?

Just try it walking into the wind sometime and let us know how it works for you. I'd never had success in milo or corn fields hunting in small groups until Bilbo told me to try this method. We've killed quite a few roosters doing it this way. Not sure why it works, but it does.

You guys are talking about fields that only the combine has gone through, not that has been disced or bush-hogged right?

Big Grain Fields

Whether hunting big grain or CRP fields, always start with the best part of the field, if there is one. Don't save it for last like it's dessert because the "dessert" may not wait for you. If there is a nice draw, I would start there, through and beside it. In a terraced field, the cover will be denser in the terrace channels, so just follow the terrace channels through the field, one or two hunters per channel. If the field is not one where the pheasants would spend the night -- no adequate cover -- look around for where they would, for example, an evergreen shelter belt along one side or across the road and hunt adjacent or nearby the belt. In CRP, if there is stubble or stalks in an abutting field, hunt that edge.

Last edited:
Stubble

I agree hunting big grain fields with a few people can be tough, what we try to do is walk across the rows like previously mentioned and as you walk set up to push the field to the corners if possible, as you walk one side when you get closer to the corner the guys walking the outside edge of the field will slow down and the guys out in the field will swing and all push toward the corner in a line, and try to corral the runners toward the corner. This has been very effective for us. Our groups are rarely bigger than five, and we hunt just about any stubble we can find.

If you are hunting a pivot pick a spot and set up you and your partners to spread out and push the field to that particular spot. This method obviously works better in square or rectangular fields can can be effective with pivots as well. It works really well in half pivots.

Of course this is partly dependent on the cover surrounding the stubble as well.

Back