Skunks

Brimar1991

Is the population of skunks up this year? Hunt 3 fields and saw 7 skunks. Unfortunately, my young dog got sprayed. Had enough hydrogen peroxide and baking soda mix for a good bath in field. Went to Wal-Mart for more supplies and they were nearly sold out.

Two more baths and 95% of the smell is gone.

I have been hunting north of Huron. Is anyone else seeing this number of skunks?

2 less skunks in the world today. Cannot believe the number of skunks we are seeing.

Took my dog to the vet today for a rabies booster after yesterday's encounter. The vet said there has been an explosion of skunks this year. He also said they have found skunks south of a Huron with rabies.

Now, I am tentative every time I step in on a dog on point. Don't know what to expect.

Where are you seeing them, cover wise? I didn't see any when I was out there but did find several areas with holes dug in the ground, mostly on weeded up section roads but never saw whatever critter was making them.

Last edited:
We did not see any last trip but did not push much cattails. I had to hunt down wind of a dog that got it once. Never again I almost lost my lunch twice in an hour. Its probably the worst smell I have ever experienced in my life.:eek:

i assume badger 519 & yes let us know what cover to avoid???

i hunt mainly cattails & thick woody cover near grasses & crops hope im not in the danger zone???

never encountered a porqupine or skunk out in pheasant country thank god!!! up in the ruffed grouse woods seen them both dogs never got hit but had to blast a few to be safe...

Have seen three (while driving) since pulling into SD last night. One at mid-day today even. Can't remember seeing more than one on any previous trip and I think this is trip #14 or #15 for me since 1999. Crossing my fingers the dog doesn't intersect one. He is hell on fur and hates cats in particular.

I have mainly encountered them around flooded areas with knee high, bright green grass. Saw a couple in cattails. The area surprised me the most was an area of low grass, rolling hill terrain. Those 2 skunks were sleeping the day away until I about stepped on them.

In my previous 12years, I only saw 2 skunks in the field and a whole bunch dead on the side of the road. Maybe my luck is catching up with me. It could be a whole lot worse. Dogs could have tangled with a raccoon.

We did not run into any skunks, but saw 6 that had been shot outside of wia. So it appears that there are some around.

Had someone really smash a skunk on the hi-way just SW of the house----GUESS which way the wind was from :eek:--truly bad for two days :(

signs

I try to avoid those yellow signs with skunk crossing on them, have to be skunks in those areas! :)

We hunted east of Pierre 20-30 miles and didn't encounter any skunks, Hunted cattail, corn, flowers, and crp grass...

Back