six days in SD report

jfreeman

Just got back from SD on a six day hunt, 2 hunters and one GSP. The first day didn't even see a rooster to shoot at but several hens pointed. Second day missed 2 easy shots. In the last 4 days we put 13 roosters in the freezer and had our shooting been a lot better we had 7 or 8 easy shots missed over points. In all total we had 23 roosters pointed with 2 flushing wild and no shots, and at least twice that many hens pointed. The 3rd and 4th day the birds held well and stayed in front of the dog where they belonged but they wanted to run on the dog the last 2 days. I was extreamly proud of the dog work on the runners, relocating and finally getting them in the air for a shot, he seemed to come of age this year and did great. On the non wild flushing points we had 21 roosters that were shootable witch equals to one opertunity per 1.19 miles walked as per the gps. The birds were down I think and had to work harder but it turned out to be the most enjoyable hunt I have had in the last 3 years with this dog.

very cool report its good to see the light switch go off in the dog & see them work the fields with a purpose!!! did you get into any prairie grouse on this trip???

i just got back from SD 4 day hunt got my 12 birds & only shot birds my dog pointed but we hunted thick cattail sloughs & the birds held great for her she gets in the thick stuff u hear her stop get ready then tell her to get them up its beautiful!!!

if i was hunting CRP grass the birds just ran ran ran & then ran some more no fun had to get them in thick cattail/shatter caine type stuff then they held!!!

SMO, We didn't see many PCs but did manage to shoot one out of one flock we flushed. We hunted the same ground where we ran into a bunch of them last year the difference was cut sunflowers last year and uncut milo this year ajoining where we killed them last year.

Back