Single shot guns?

I have an HR Richardson 410 and 20 gauge, I started hunting with the 20 gauge when I was a kid. I flip between pumps, semi, o/u, and sxs's all year long. I just enjoy shooting different guns, some times I'm tired of carrying the heavy semi's or pumps so I switch to the doubles. Most of my hunting is grouse and woodcock so not often do I have opportunity for more then 2 shots. I use the higher capacity when out west because of the opportunity for group flushes. That is the beauty of hunting diverse gun, gauge and shot configurations for us to choose from and use. Hunt the way that makes you the happiest.

I was hunting with my son and my young lab a year ago and used a single 410 for a woodcock grouse hunt. I loved carrying the light gun but instantly regretted it when I missed. Haha it’s fun to do every once in a while.

I’m a big fan of only loading one shell for young hunters. I have 3 boys and the oldest is just getting into hunting. I thick the most dangerous time for a young hunter is right after a shot, when all the excitement is there. The gun is still loaded and they are looking to other for what’s next and if not careful are swings a loaded gun with safety off.

I prefer to have more than one shot available for those wounded birds that otherwise might be lost. Doesn’t seem sporting to risk turning a bird into coyote food when guns are available that have another shell ready to go. Nothing sporting about leaving cripples.

I prefer to have more than one shot available for those wounded birds that otherwise might be lost. Doesn’t seem sporting to risk turning a bird into coyote food when guns are available that have another shell ready to go. Nothing sporting about leaving cripples.
I don't think the idea behind a single shot is to increase cripples. No hunter is going into it with that mindset.

If that's the thought process here, then everyone using a stack or side by side barrel isn't being very "sporty" because they should all be using a shotgun that can handle more than two shells. If 2 > 1, than 3 > 2, etc.

If someone wants to use a single or double shot shotgun, that's their own decision to make. My point of emphasis would be 1) shoot better, and 2) use better ammo.

My theory is that the more shells in your gun the more shells you'll fire per bagged bird.
How astute. 😉 It varies by experience level. A novice with multiple shots avaliable MAY be more inclined to shoot quickly because he knows he's got more shells ready. But an experienced pheasant hunter isn't more inclined to rush his first shot just because he shoots an autoloader. It just happens sometimes.

I don't think the idea behind a single shot is to increase cripples. No hunter is going into it with that mindset.

If that's the thought process here, then everyone using a stack or side by side barrel isn't being very "sporty" because they should all be using a shotgun that can handle more than two shells. If 2 > 1, than 3 > 2, etc.

If someone wants to use a single or double shot shotgun, that's their own decision to make. My point of emphasis would be 1) shoot better, and 2) use better ammo.
I think the suggestion to shoot better is a flip answer. Shooting better ignores the many variables that occur when a bird flushes. I doubt anyone is 100% on pheasants with their first shot.

Shooting better ignores the many variables that occur when a bird flushes. I doubt anyone is 100% on pheasants with their first shot.
I agree, but to suggest that someone is using a single shot as lacking sport because it might produce more cripples isn't anyone's thought process either. Except yours.

Maybe its the only shotgun they have. At one point, it was the only one I had.

I agree, but to suggest that someone is using a single shot as lacking sport because it might produce more cripples isn't anyone's thought process either. Except yours.

Maybe its the only shotgun they have. At one point, it was the only one I had.
No need to get snippy or misrepresent my view. Some people have no other option, that’s fair, but there are better options for most people.

How astute. 😉 It varies by experience level. A novice with multiple shots avaliable MAY be more inclined to shoot quickly because he knows he's got more shells ready. But an experienced pheasant hunter isn't more inclined to rush his first shot just because he shoots an autoloader. It just happens sometimes.

Please don't hesitate to say "astute" in response to any other of my posts.

Noticed in videos from dakota bird ranches that most are carrying autos and the number of shots fired per bird borders on amazing sometimes. Once I was next to last on a line of six guns when a bird flushed at the far end and flew down the line in nice range for each gun. By the time it flew into my zone at least a half dozen shots had been taken with not a feather ruffled. All in good fun.

Noticed in videos from dakota bird ranches that most are carrying autos and the number of shots fired per bird borders on amazing sometimes. Once I was next to last on a line of six guns when a bird flushed at the far end and flew down the line in nice range for each gun. By the time it flew into my zone at least a half dozen shots had been taken with not a feather ruffled. All in good fun.
So did you tag it?

Those are the best. And everybody yelling rooster as if the volley of gunfire is not enough to tip the next guy up off. 😆

My first shotgun was a bolt action 20 ga. When I showed it to a few of my friends later on in college one of them dubbed it the "M1 20 ga".

So...I was essentially saddled with a single shot as a young hunter. I killed some birds with it...and still have it. But when I was able to upgrade myself to my first 870 I wanted to burn the beastly blunderbuss. Again...it killed birds...but on more than a few occasions I lined up a rooster with what I though was the perfect lead. "BANG!"...both legs drop...bird continues to fly on with all the grace of a battle damaged B-17 from old war films.

I figure I owe it to the birds to at least be able to clean up an ineffective, first shot.

Nice post, Kismet. Thanks for sharing.

Everyone's situation is different. I hunt deer and turkey with a longbow, but when I'm after pheasants I've got one in the chamber and 3 in the magazine. I am fortunate to live and hunt in an area that has pretty decent wild bird numbers and enough public land to keep three Springers tuckered out. My dogs are all fairly young, and I want to get them on as many wild birds as possible. And, I enjoy the heck out of shooting at pheasants! I truly don't believe hunting pressure plays a factor in the areas I hunt. When conditions are absolutely brutal, I will not go out and push birds out of their chosen cover, fortunately that doesn't happen too often around here.
Last winter was a really hard winter.That snow was outrageous. I hope the birds survived it.

Back