Side by Side safe non-toxic loads

wade b

I am constantly struggling finding loadings for my fine doubles that are non-toxic and safe to shoot. Especially in 2 3/4" loadings.

Thoughts?

sxs

I use itx shot from ballistic products both in my muzzle loaders and sometimes in my 28 ga. it became easier to get awhile back than bismuth. bismuth is now being loaded commercially again. I have shot a ton of duck/ geese using the stuff in both 5 and 6 shot and never found any difference in kills. I use the smaller shot cause I use smaller gauges and need the density.

cheers

The very best way to fins non tox stuff for your vintage or fine double is to hand load the components!:)
You can do it with hand tools , or a single stage press, and custom tailor the loads to the gun!:thumbsup:
DT

Federal Mag Shok Heavyweight 7 Turkey 20ga. 2 3/4" is a great Pheasant/Duck load.

I use Nice Shot in 28s & 20s. No issues, & patterns well.

There is more and more talk being bantered around about LEAD being outlawed all together on Private or Public land. It will be an interesting debate for the future. The Hevishot Classic Doubles is ideally suited for vintage guns.

pressure

if you are using a modern type shotgun, don't be concerned with pressure from mfg. shells. modern shotguns pressure run from about 9000 to 13000, the smaller the gauge the high pressure that they can handle. while most mfg. don't talk about proofing their guns, they in fact do and take it very serious. most guns are proofed in the neighborhood of about 22000 psi, so you see, there is quite a buffer, don't think any mfg. loads their shells to barely 11000 and most, less depending on gauge and hand load data stops at 13000psi. I have used a ton of bismouth and had great luck with it on up to including geese

cheers

Hi, we as you know have no National Proof House, as they have in most European countries. There is an organization that most American Gun makers belong to. That organization is:

The Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI). Their site is:

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/index.cfm

While guns may be "proofed" at 22000psi, that is not the safe or recommend psi for standard service pressure. A gun is "proofed" using not more than 2 proof loads normally. The following is the standard recommended service pressure for modern loads:

ANSI/SAAMI Shotgun Pressure Specifications (Maximum Average Pressure in PSI)
All Piezo measurements unless specified)

Cartridge Maximum Average pressure
10 gauge 11,000 (all)
12 gauge 11,5000 (all but 3 1/2" mag)
12 gauge 3 1/2" mag 14,000
16 gauge (11,500 (all)
20 Gauge 12,000 (all)
28 gauge 12,500 (all)
.410 Bore 2 1/2" 12,500
.410 Bore 3" 13,500

I assumed that the OP is referencing a 12ga gun, but as mustistuff rightly said, the smaller the bore the higher the pressure.

Pressure can be a very tricky deal, always better to err on the safe side. If your gun is modern, you'll have no problems, but if it's an older/vintage gun, things get a bit sticky.

Good Luck!

Greg

Hi Wade, is your SxS a vintage gun or modern?

If it's modern and can take pressures to 11,000psi or so, you can find Bismuth that is now loaded by Rio:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RIO-BISMUTH-SHOTSHELLS-PER-BOX/1774237.uts

If not, RST loads Nice Shot in 2 1/2":

http://www.cabelas.com/product/RIO-BISMUTH-SHOTSHELLS-PER-BOX/1774237.uts

Good Luck!

Greg
These were killed with my vintage Westley Richards, 100 grains of FFG and
and 1 1/8 oz of Nice Shot 4's and Bismuth 2's
DT

It really does depend upon the age of your gun. If you are talking old... then I certainly would look into Hevi Shot Classic Doubles as will have the hard hitting power of the hevi shot pellets but the lower pressure that your gun will handle. If it is newer then the sky is the limit, non toxic wise.. Hevi Shot, Hevi Metal and more. Just really depends on the age of your gun. Good luck!

It really does depend upon the age of your gun. If you are talking old... then I certainly would look into Hevi Shot Classic Doubles as will have the hard hitting power of the hevi shot pellets but the lower pressure that your gun will handle. If it is newer then the sky is the limit, non toxic wise.. Hevi Shot, Hevi Metal and more. Just really depends on the age of your gun. Good luck!

I would also second that HeviShot duck or Goose

I find the HeviShot Classic Doubles shells disappointing and under-performing.

Wish that weren't the case as those shells would solve a lot of problems for double-gun and vintage gun fans. But I've bought a bunch of those shells over the years and now will only use them on a preserve hunt.

They just don't have the stopping power for wild birds, particularly wild pheasants. I would never use them in a waterfowl situation.

killing power

I shoot more than just a little, muzzle loaders with lead, bismuth, and itx shot. have had no problem with any of the stuff whether it be pheasants or geese. I also hunt some with my 20 ga. lc smith, no steel loads for those guns but the other stuff kills birds. to be informed you would need to know the speed, size, and weigh of those pellets. using that info, you can then compare that with know useful loads. that will give you a better answer. actually I don't use the stuff, happy with what I am using but to make an informed decision you need the above info.

cheers

Back