sichuan pheasant

I worked on the Sichuan pheasant program in Michigan. I have been away now for almost 15 years so I don't know exactly what's going on with the birds in Michigan but I can tell you that the program had multiple goals.

A big part of the reason the Phasianus colchicus strauchii subspecies was chosen was the fact that they were found from about sea level to high elevations, in a variety of habitats, in areas where the local human populations seek and eat everything. Predators like feral cats are everywhere, yet the pheasants survived and thrived.

Secondly, the concern over genetic diversity was/is real. Injecting some genetic variability into the population and creating a type of hybrid vigor was a desirable outcome.

Third, the breeding behavior of the colchicus colchicus subspecies is that of a "rapist", while the strauchii subspecies is more of a "lover". It was thought that, since the females select the males to breed with them, the gentler Sichuan would be more desired by the hens and breeding success would increase.

Habitat preferences are similar although the Sichuan is more likely To be able to survive in grassland areas which are succeeding towards more of an early brushy type of habitat vs. purely I grassland, probably because of the aforementioned predator awareness from being food for so many humans and predators for so long.

It was never thought that there would be a pure, wild flock of Sicuan pheasants running around. We actually took measurements of bag-checked roosters during hunting season to develop methods for determining percentage of ring-necked vs. Sichuan blood and tracked that over time. What we found was through the years there was a smaller and smaller percentage of pure strains of EITHER subspecies, indicating that they were interbreeding and that genetic diversity was increasing.

There was consideration of giving birds to qualified people but then we realized doing that would make our population survey and tracking data completely non-credible. We had a systematic release program each spring based upon releasing a set number of birds in randomized townships so we could track population trends and identify differences in habitat selection and use and how they related to relative abundance. All that, in addition to the very real probability that birds released by the public would just be a put/take proposition.

Just thought this info might be interesting.

I spent the day hiking in Sichuan province. Near dajiangyang. I did not see any pheasants. A lot of song birds. Wooded habitat.

I did see ring necks in a restaurant. Caged and ready to cook.

I will be in Chengdu for the rest of the week but I doubt I will have any time to search for pheasants.

I was in NW Germany a four years ago and saw an abundance of pheasants in rural areas. Not so in their native land. Too many hunters here.

Third, the breeding behavior of the colchicus colchicus subspecies is that of a "rapist", while the strauchii subspecies is more of a "lover". It was thought that, since the females select the males to breed with them, the gentler Sichuan would be more desired by the hens and breeding success would increase.

Reilly Auld--thank you for being on the look out for Strauchii! Good luck and keep us informed.

Marshrat, thank you for your informative post! That was very interesting.

In regards to Strauchii's breed characteristics do you know if a Strauchii hen is prone to keeping other hens away from the rooster of her choice (the rooster she selects for breeding)?

I ask this because it's been noted that Strauchii tend to breed in pairs (one rooster/one hen), not multiple hens to one roosters as we see with other sub-species. Is this her doing or his doing, or both?

I spent the day hiking in Sichuan province. Near dajiangyang. I did not see any pheasants. A lot of song birds. Wooded habitat.

I did see ring necks in a restaurant. Caged and ready to cook.

I will be in Chengdu for the rest of the week but I doubt I will have any time to search for pheasants.

I was in NW Germany a four years ago and saw an abundance of pheasants in rural areas. Not so in their native land. Too many hunters here.

Thanks for the Sichuan province update report.

Wild True pheasants in China are chased for food all year by locals. So every wild pheasant in China is from authentic wild stock and those wild pheasants are experts on staying alive by keeping a low profile.
Therefore, you may not see them running around in the fields and along the roads the way we see them in the prime pheasant range in N. America. If you are walking or hiking those wild pheasants will hide a quarter of a mile ahead of you, you will not see them.
To see them you need to be in a stationary blind with binoculars and a high resolution camera.
Look at the link below on page 2, June 7, 2010:
http://www.pbase.com/samwoods/china&page=3

In China, they have organized "Sichuan Pheasant Tours" in protected preserve type areas.

Yes wild pheasants are all over Germany, years ago when I was stationed over there I enjoyed watching them.

I stressed to my colleague here in China that I would like to visit pheasant country in Sichuan.

Unfortunately I did not see a pheasant. We did see a squirrel which delighted my friend. He is 30 years old and had NEVER seen a wild squirrel in the PRC.

Too many hunters here! It doesn't look like I will be able to get back in the country-side before I leave Chengdu.

I did make it to Harbin earlier in my trip. A lot of corn fields up there. One of my contacts is a forestry professor at Northeast Forestry University. He said if I make it to Harbin next year he will do his best to show me wild pheasants.

Something to look forward to!

1pheas4,

Glad you to something out of my post. It was pretty interesting to work with pheasants. Sichuan roosters do breed multiple hens, but it seems to be not as many as Ring-necked hens, and they stay with a hen they have just bred for a couple of days...they like to "cuddle" afterwards, while the Ring-necked rooster is off to the next breed-ready hen. So they breed for hens but the Sichuan seemed to have higher overall nesting success...at least in the early to mid 90's.

Thanks for posting this article Preston! With habitat being as fragmented as it is today I can understand how someone could bump into a Strauchi/Sichuan rooster here and there.

I was thinking yesterday, how back in the 1990's (here in IL when our bird numbers where good and on the rise) we would shoot a wild rooster that looked very much like a strauchi/Sichuan, then move on and shoot a rooster that looked very light/yellow "Chinese" like, then another that would be look very "reddish" in color, another that was a orange/reddish/yellow.

Up until 1995 there was a vast verity of bloodlines within the same areas. Today, if you shoot 10 wild IL pheasants in a season, most all (9 out of 10) will look identical to each other and they tend to have very similar behavior traits.

Last edited:
Back