shotshell speed

Anyone ever use the gps off of their pointy dog when they make a retrieve to determine how far a shot was. I’ d guess 95 percent of mine over a flushing dog are 20 to 40 , just a guess I really have no clue !

I shoot lots of my roosters with my benelli ultralight…love that gun! 12 gauge, 6 lbs…
Yes, the Benelli is awesome. Probably one of the lightest 12 gauge semiautos out there. i bought the Winchester sx4 as it was light at around 6 lbs 8 oz and decent all day carry. Between hunting eastern Washington hills, lots of up and down and then North Dakota at Least once a year it’s done a decent job in the field. Usually get in 50+ days of hunting.

When I first started hunting SD, in ‘93, we could buy Federal 12 gauge 2 3/4” 1 3/8 oz of lead @ 1500 fps….like $7.99…some days I went through more than 2 boxes! I was shooting a Montefeltro with 5 shots…I know there at least a few days it was close to 3 boxes….group hunting…15 birds in the vest was my high day…lots in the 10-12 range…I once shot 8 in about 10 minutes…was stationary next to a slough that guys in my gang were walking through…I was standing where a finger of cover came out into the picked corn…birds were funneling into that finger, then flushing…crazy. But all those crazy #’s of birds, and hunters, made for frenetic, frazzled hunting….I really love solo hunting, or one other guy…I don‘t need hundreds of birds or more to enjoy the hunt…but those #’s, 1’000’s at times, were something to see!

Anyone ever use the gps off of their pointy dog when they make a retrieve to determine how far a shot was. I’ d guess 95 percent of mine over a flushing dog are 20 to 40 , just a guess I really have no clue !
No. No pointy dog & no GPS, but I feel like I have a pretty good idea that likewise, 90% or more are 20-40 yd shots. This was one of my most satisfying roosters of last season, not because I made the shot (although it was really fun), but because we flushed the bird at all, played the wind right, & actually GOT a shot. We'd seen him lite & decided to change plans & give him a whirl, figuring a bird in the bush one way was worth 2 that MIGHT be in the bush the other way. So that's what all the celebrating is MOSTLY about. Plus we'd gotten our limit w/ just 2 shells. Anyway, Ace was a little birdy, just getting a whiff here & there; then at 20:50 we can see he's smelling him pretty good; and at 21:06 he goes into overdrive. I figure the shot was about 40 yds, but I think he hit the frozen mud at about 65 or so. I wish I'd actually paced it off.

When I first started hunting SD, in ‘93, we could buy Federal 12 gauge 2 3/4” 1 3/8 oz of lead @ 1500 fps….like $7.99…some days I went through more than 2 boxes! I was shooting a Montefeltro with 5 shots…I know there at least a few days it was close to 3 boxes….group hunting…15 birds in the vest was my high day…lots in the 10-12 range…I once shot 8 in about 10 minutes…was stationary next to a slough that guys in my gang were walking through…I was standing where a finger of cover came out into the picked corn…birds were funneling into that finger, then flushing…crazy. But all those crazy #’s of birds, and hunters, made for frenetic, frazzled hunting….I really love solo hunting, or one other guy…I don‘t need hundreds of birds or more to enjoy the hunt…but those #’s, 1’000’s at times, were something to see!
I bought a Montefeltro in 92 or 93, which was my primary "everything but doves" gun until I got my Sweet 16 in 99 or 2000. Benellis of that era still could do the Benelli trick & sneak an extra shell below the bolt. I did it fairly regularly, but don't think I ever shot all 6.

I recall hunting in mid-Nov this fall in SD in extreme wind! Had some shots like yours, contorting in a 180 fashion as the bird rockets overhead…some got away, some didn’t…made some shots that surprised me! I think it was the week where deer opener out there was the Saturday of the hunt…around the 19th?

I recall hunting in mid-Nov this fall in SD in extreme wind! Had some shots like yours, contorting in a 180 fashion as the bird rockets overhead…some got away, some didn’t…made some shots that surprised me! I think it was the week where deer opener out there was the Saturday of the hunt…around the 19th?
That video was Sunday, Nov. 20, the 2nd day of East River Deer.

In the past 7-10 years, November has provided some of the harshest weather for me more often than not…I hunt a lot in Dec and Jan…been lots of wind, and cold, and snow in Nov…often all 3! Seems to have fallen between the 8th-25th or so, mostly the 10th-20th…

Back