Shotkam

Hmm I thought it was more than that. My gun normally weighs 6.5 pounds and adding this makes it feel noticeably heavier.

Hmm I thought it was more than that. My gun normally weighs 6.5 pounds and adding this makes it feel noticeably heavier.
Don't know if I could notice a 5% increase, just carrying the gun around.
Let's say about 2 pounds of that is ahead of your lead hand. That's a 17% increase on the front portion. Definitely noticeable while shooting & as far as I'm concerned, a great excuse to keep in your back pocket, readily available.

I bought one this year and have really enjoyed checking out the footage. As Brent mentioned, even when they are "sighted in", they often are a little bit off. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting and the ShotKam is perfect for that situation as you know the birds are coming. It's a little tougher with pheasants as they have a propensity to fly away at any given moment. This matters because the ShotKam is in "sleep" mode and you have to bump the stock or press a button to get it in "active" mode. Again, this can be difficult to do as pheasant hunting happens quickly, but I usually bump the stock once my dog starts getting birdy. You can leave it in "active" mode, but it eats the battery. Additionally, I just bought a warming sleeve that holds a hot hands up against the ShotKam as it is sensitive to cold (under 30 degrees, in my experience). Without it, my ShotKam was dying in about an hour. In 50 degree weather, I could get 3 to 4 hours out of it.

FWIW, you can check out my pheasant clips. I have the GoPro footage at the beginning of the video and will note that the ShotKam footage was slowed down with Adobe Premiere Pro and starts at 5:28 on this video -
What choke are you using on those roosters, if I may ask?

What choke are you using on those roosters, if I may ask?
Code Black Duck by pattern master. I think it is a .695 construction or something like that. Really tight. I do a lot of waterfowl pass shooting and like the range it gives me. But I have a new gun and am looking for a different choke.

Try the IC for pheasants, might eliminate the double tapping....your pattern can open-up for the first shot.....your 1st shot kills might be in much better condition also. Just try it, you will like the results.

Last edited:
For what its worth I tend to shoot better with the shotkam on my hunting gun. I think the extra weight gets total gun weight closer to my sporting clays gun and I swing it smoother with that extra weight. Or it could all be in my head. :)

I have ordered a shotcam, but never used it before because I have watched tons of hunting videos and now I would like to make my own channel with hunting videos. But I am not sure I'll be able to do that, cause I constantly had problems with making and editing the videos. Thank god there are such articles as this that help you in any trouble.

Last edited:

Just in case any of you guys are thinking about getting a ShotKam, they are as cheap as they get right now until the 6th of September.

Fun, fun videos....wetting the appetite for sure... I was captivated by the birds doing everything they could to keep churning those wings, or wing in most cases, after getting hit.

Back