Shotkam

I haven't used it, but I've watched quite a few Shotkam videos made by different people. Some are good. Some not so good. Most of them seem (to me) as though the Shotkam wasn't aimed exactly right. Or the timing is a hair off. Or something. Consequently, I have my doubts whether it aids shooting. But they're fun to watch.

I coach a high school trap team and one of the other coaches bought one to use in teaching kids. That's been several years ago now and we've never used it. We have enough coaches that are reasonably good at peering over people's shoulders as they shoot that it's always seemed more trouble than it's worth. I think he's set it up and used it a little personally, but we've never used it for the team. Likewise, the club where we shoot has a Garmin Xero that we can use, but we haven't bothered with that either.

I bought one this year and have really enjoyed checking out the footage. As Brent mentioned, even when they are "sighted in", they often are a little bit off. I do a lot of waterfowl hunting and the ShotKam is perfect for that situation as you know the birds are coming. It's a little tougher with pheasants as they have a propensity to fly away at any given moment. This matters because the ShotKam is in "sleep" mode and you have to bump the stock or press a button to get it in "active" mode. Again, this can be difficult to do as pheasant hunting happens quickly, but I usually bump the stock once my dog starts getting birdy. You can leave it in "active" mode, but it eats the battery. Additionally, I just bought a warming sleeve that holds a hot hands up against the ShotKam as it is sensitive to cold (under 30 degrees, in my experience). Without it, my ShotKam was dying in about an hour. In 50 degree weather, I could get 3 to 4 hours out of it.

FWIW, you can check out my pheasant clips. I have the GoPro footage at the beginning of the video and will note that the ShotKam footage was slowed down with Adobe Premiere Pro and starts at 5:28 on this video -

Very cool footage from both the GoPro and ShotKam. Some amazing dog work. It is obvious that this is a compilation over a season.

FYI: I personally know one guy that got in trouble for shooting more than 3 roosters because he posted all of his shots on a day trip. Three guys = 9 roosters which video showed he shot 5 of them. He posted publicly on social media. In ND, that is not a wise thing to do.

Thanks!

I don’t party hunt very often, but could see if a state didn’t have party hunting allowances where a guy could get in trouble. Personally, I put my gun away if I shoot three birds when hunting with others.

Last edited:
GS, that footage is fun to watch, I had quit watching clips posted, as it was loud pounding music and watching the footage seemed to make me feel like I had a hangover and was in a fishing boat on choppy water. Now you can't post in the shooting percentage threads boosting. I hunt with a fella a couple times a year that I am not sure I have ever seen get the bird on the first shot, but almost always on the second. I only hunt IA, and wasn't aware of other states not allowing part hunting...that would keep my numbers down. Thanks for posting that, hope folks find it, it would be a good thread, but mabe it was??

Now you can't post in the shooting percentage threads boosting. (boasting probably)
That's not very nice. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: But it's funny, so that makes it ok. GH clearly understands the fact that if you don't pull the trigger, you don't shoot birds. His videos are awesome. I think mostly because his hunting style very closely matches my own. And...no obnoxious music. Sage exercises supreme power over her foe.

The highlight impact video is fun, but his actual "hunt" videos are great. Most roosters encountered are shown in both GoPro & ShotKam views. Shooting aid or not, the ShotKam is a nice addition to the production.

Last edited:
GS, that footage is fun to watch, I had quit watching clips posted, as it was loud pounding music and watching the footage seemed to make me feel like I had a hangover and was in a fishing boat on choppy water. Now you can't post in the shooting percentage threads boosting. I hunt with a fella a couple times a year that I am not sure I have ever seen get the bird on the first shot, but almost always on the second. I only hunt IA, and wasn't aware of other states not allowing part hunting...that would keep my numbers down. Thanks for posting that, hope folks find it, it would be a good thread, but mabe it was??

Thank, Remy. For me, the sound of the wind, grass/cattails brushing against my jeans and the sweet, sweet sound of shotgun fire is already the best music in the world. Nothing against AC/DC, but Thunderstruck is better suited for a compilation of NFL backers smoking defenseless receivers.

I remember the thread on shooting percentage and some of the guys claim 80-90% and, ironically, I don't ever see any evidence of their abilities. Hmm... lol

I agree that dog is a worker!! Love her extreme energy! If I were guaranteed of that kind of hunting ability I would consider a lab....w/o that guarantee, I will bet on a GSP. From the little I saw, you have a great dog, congrats. That video was nice, roosters crackling, is one of my favorite sounds! Do you think the filming and gear needed for that...or the subconscious pressure of filming the hunts affect the shooting (it can't help)? You crushed many on first shots, guessing without the filming, just out with your buddies, you aren't double tapping. It looks like everthing is a "mile" away in all the videos, those are so much better compared to what I had viewed, glad I played it, well done for sure!

I agree that dog is a worker!! Love her extreme energy! If I were guaranteed of that kind of hunting ability I would consider a lab....w/o that guarantee, I will bet on a GSP. From the little I saw, you have a great dog, congrats. That video was nice, roosters crackling, is one of my favorite sounds! Do you think the filming and gear needed for that...or the subconscious pressure of filming the hunts affect the shooting (it can't help)? You crushed many on first shots, guessing without the filming, just out with your buddies, you aren't double tapping. It looks like everthing is a "mile" away in all the videos, those are so much better compared to what I had viewed, glad I played it, well done for sure!
I might have been a little more aware of the GoPro and ShotKam in the early hunts, but I have been as likely to hit as miss on the first shot since my dad gave me an 870 for Christmas when I was a kid. It's just a bad habit and I've never cared enough to fix it. I'm married with grade school kids, so I don't have any buddies, lol.

Thanks for the kind words about Sage and the video. If interested, this video is a compilation of the best dog work from this past season -

How is your Go Pro attached, I've got a new, 11.5 week old Griff and want to hunt this fall with her. I've got an old Go Pro and it might be fun to play with. Is that public land in SD or somewhere private?
Thanks for a new bird dog owner.

The Top 5 video is four public and one private. I would say I hunt about 65% public and 35% private, varying a little bit each year.

I think of all the great moments in the field that have been relegated to a fading memory that would be better served in video format. It's a chore to keep the equipment charged, switch batteries in the middle of a slough in the middle of December and then the time editing, but it is worth it to me.

Here is a video that will show how I have my GoPro attached. I have a GoPro Hero 8 and even though they are pretty small for the capability, it's heavy on the head. I put the mount as close to my head as possible and have a hat that fits tightly over my noggin. The head strap isn't bad, I just had a hard time keeping the camera level with it.

Thanks, I usually wear a ball cap, but when it's cold I usually wear a stocking cap. I'll see what I can find that might work with that. Debating a chest rig but guessing my arms would get in the way.

Thanks, I usually wear a ball cap, but when it's cold I usually wear a stocking cap. I'll see what I can find that might work with that. Debating a chest rig but guessing my arms would get in the way.

I used a Carhart stocking cap and pulled it over the top of the baseball cap and it worked really well. I'd never done it before, but it was nice having the brim of the cap in the winter as the sun shines a little brighter off the snow and I don't wear sunglasses.

I ended up buying one myself, I like everything but the extra weight it adds to the end of your gun. Will use it on clays but unsure about in the field. It weighs just under a pound.

Back