Shotguns/Insurance

Years ago I ask my agent about insuring firearms, (he was an avid hunter), he discouraged it and said for the cost, every year or two you could buy a new gun...my "insurance policy" is a couple big vaults, I am not expecting insurance to cover any of my senior moments. Guessing it is a gone girl now, a relatively expensive lesson, but a lesson learned!

Britt, can a guy just up the limits without identifying individual firearms? If so, that might make sense for a guy like me. Not too worried about things at home, but a vehicle theft or lost in a field (which I almost did this year) or a drive-away, the HO Ins policy could cover you. But for a $1,000 gun, the claim on the policy (which will increase your premium), the deductible and the added expense of the additional coverage....it still might not be worth it. Self-insure for the little stuff might be best.

If anyone is looking for gun specific insurance I would recommend looking at Gun and Trophy Insurance that Larry Cushman agency offers. Larry is a hunter and shooter and I have not seen a bad review of what they offer. Very cost effective and offers some extra benefits. I thankfully have not had a claim but have heard of quite a few examples of people that have and all have been handled well.

Remy, Get quotes from both companies. With Eastern you can insure with a total amount of insurance. You don't have to list guns or serial numbers. I have had one claim with a broken stock, they paid me quickly. Broke it when I fell in the woods in the U.P.

Here is a tip. Never lean a gun against a tire or car.

If I ever set a gun down near my vehicle, I unload it and lay it over the flat area between the hood and the windshield.

That way you cannot drive off without seeing it.

I have additional coverage on my firearms. Its considered to be a rider policy. My wife's wedding ring it also an additional rider. I know the declared values, but I am not sure what the additional premium cost is to be honest. The firearms rider is not for each individual gun, its for the total. My deductible is 500 bucks.

The total value of firearms policy might come into play with a fire (assuming you don't have good fire-rated vaults) or a home break-in where they defeat your vaults. That firearm insurance can't be cheap in you have much, especially if your vaults are not secured well and of decent or better quality. If your firearms are in a glass fronted gun case, maybe get the insurance, if they will insure them being stored like that. I only actually know one guy that has been robbed of firearms (a benefit of living in the rural midwest) and his were either in a glass fronted display gun cabinet and in the back of the closet. I know most gun vaults can be easily defeated, but vault placement and securing them in-place will make it much more difficult to get into, and hopefully your thief is the "grab and go" guy that isn't prepared to spend time needed for the guns.

As John does, in the field try not to put it where it can be forgotten, it the case is best.

Anyone had any real experience with guns in a safe that have gone through a fire or flood?

What kind of shape are they in after something like that?

Anyone had any real experience with guns in a safe that have gone through a fire or flood?

What kind of shape are they in after something like that?
Kre, I have been thru a flood. I got my guns out of the safe before the water came up. I can tell you that the guns would not be pretty after any flood. Not sure about a fire.

Kre, I have been thru a flood. I got my guns out of the safe before the water came up. I can tell you that the guns would not be pretty after any flood. Not sure about a fire.
As I mentioned earlier, I had a Ruger shotgun that was submerged for a couple days...not good.

But, will a safe/vault keep water out for any amount of time?

Chances are no safe will keep water out with a flood. If you have a gun that was in water for 2 days, you might want to take to smith and let him access if it can be salvaged.

Finally, got back to my truck (hunting alone) with my two pups, set my 20 gauge benelli against the back passenger side tire to load pups and take a piss. Like an idiot (still very upset with myself) loaded pups and took off. I was so pissed off/still am, called the sheriff and did all the things u do when your gun is lost or stolen. There were other hunters in area, does anyone know can u turn that into ur insurance? Appreciate all the advice and I’ve gotten enough sarcasm.

Thanks,
The Lointer Man
Man that really sucks. I did something similar many years ago. Laid my gun on the roof to get my keys from my pocket and spaced it. Luckily it was laying in the grass near where I parked. Then while loading dogs one time, someone leaned the gun against the truck. I heard something and looked over to see the gun had slid off rattled on the ground and was pointing at my feet! After that I zip tied a couple gun cases on the sides of the dogbox. That way at least you have a safe place to put them while loading up. I know all these tips won't help you now though. Do you have the serial #? I've heard that the police can distribute a list of serial #s to gun shops in the area in case it comes in.

Chances are no safe will keep water out with a flood. If you have a gun that was in water for 2 days, you might want to take to smith and let him access if it can be salvaged.

The gun was sent to Ruger and they wouldn't even attempt to repair it and they wouldn't send it back. They gave me 40% off any new gun I chose and the insurance paid me $1895...deductible was already covered by other damages related to the flood.

This is why I will continue to pay my cheap, gun insurance. And, I always recommend Erie insurance.

I would recommend sending an updated list of your guns and value every year and your agent should remind you also. Itsh happens.
Exactly what my insurance company told me, then advised to get my wives jewelry ect ect appraised and I had to remind them I was more worried about my shotgun… Anyways, updated from my first post, yes your insurance will cover as long as your deductible does not exceed to guns worth… long story short, don’t do what I did. Still makes me sick

Since I have attempted to destroy 2 firearms mentioned above ….. I did come up with a preventative treatment
When back at the truck first thing is to put shotgun on windshield, in front of the steering wheel. Tending to dogs is first thing I do.

I have a rider for my guns and for my wifes wedding ring and band. The rider is replacement cost for guns or ring. Might be a bit over kill, but hey only money right?

I to have left gun in a wma parking lot a merkel 1620 to be exact. Luckily I remembered it and went back 30 miles and it was still there and I didnt run it over backing out. I know a guy who lost a 20 gauge graded model 21 and never found it. Its easy to do when you are loading dogs ect. My hunting partner left his benelli ultra leaning againts a fence post and drove 275 miles home to find an empty gun case he called a local farmer who retrieved it for him and kept it safe till the next weekend.I had a kid on the trap team leave his 870 after practice at a gun club it was gone.
What bothers me is if you find a gun at a wma or such ( not North Minneapolis) You know some one will be missing it . Its not yours its stealing if you don't make every effort possible to find the owner.

Back