Shotgun plug

jcfd129

Do you have to have a plug in your gun to hunt phez in kansas? or can i take em out and load em' up? thanks !! ~~MATT

No plug is necessary for pheasant in Kansas. I spoke directly to one of the game wardens about it a couple years ago. It is nice to have that plug out when you have a good flush of birds. Good luck.

As a kid I shot my brother's 12 gauge Winchester Model 97. You guys know, that pump action hammer gun? With no plug it was six shots. I can do the same thing today, if I want with my 3.5" Browning BPS with no plug and shooting 2.75" shells. "Flock" guns I would say.:)

Personally, I leave my plug in. Granted, I do about as much waterfowling as pheasant hunting, so it's as much out of convenience as anything else. Some guys will take it out for pheasant hunting, but I rarely even use the third shot, and for me, shots 4 and 5 would be a waste of ammo anyway.

My personal choice would be that after shooting three times, I need to shift my focus to picking up the bird(s) that is/are down. It's amazing how much ground a wounded pheasant can cover in a short amount of time. I would rather stop shooting and make sure I collect 100% of the birds shot, than continue shooting and increase my chances of losing a cripple.

I realize I was 'preaching to the choir' about recovering birds... Anybody passionate enough about pheasant hunting to be on this site would certainly make every effort to recover all birds shot. I didn't want my previous post to imply otherwise. ;)

yeah that is a good point about bird recovery. I have rookie dogs too so I will have to really be watching them so I think you are right. My brother is a lead slinger supreme so I will take his out and let him make noise! thanks guys!

Back