Short two hour hunt

Madison COunty

I couldn't work today so a buddy and I went on a short hunt. We got to the field about 2:30 pm, there were no cars that we could see so we headed East.

About 100 yards into the field Gunner locks up on point and my buddy went in for the bird. He got about 5 yards away and the bird flushed to the south and he dropped it. About another 100 yards or so Gunner starts to get birdy and is on something. He follows it about 75 feet and is on point. This time I went in to kick up the bird. I could see rooster #2 hiding in the grass. I go to kick it up and it flys up about 4 feet and Gunner grabs it. Then it ran away with Gunner right on its tail. It made it about 30-40 feet before he brought it back to me (I didn't even get a shot off).

We continued east and then south around the edge of a big pond. I could not see or hear the dog. I asked my buddy if he knew where he was and then I made a fatal mistake and hit his beeper. I'm not sure if the dog went in or if the beep scared the bird but rooster #3 sailed away.

We had about 45 minutes left so we crossed the road and walked the edge of the tall grass next to a cut corn field. About a half mile from the truck the dog goes on point again and I move in. Up flies rooster #4 and I miss, my second shot got him and another shot from my friend.

Got back to the truck at 4:30 with 3 birds, not bad for a couple hours. We did see one guy hunting with his dog and he said he didn't see any birds, I was surprised we didn't see any hens.

Sounds like a great hunt. I have noticed too how much the pheasant behavior changes with a little snow on the ground. IMHO this is when the best part of pheasant season begins! :thumbsup:

Hey MC... I'm in Black Hawk Co. You have a connection up this way?

Last edited:
I grew up in Waverly, my mom lives in Waterloo and dad in cedar falls. I will be coming up for thanksgiving and hunting some hopefully.

Ah... I would say that's a connection. :)
I haven't hunted close to home this season other than one short birdless trip (my fault though, should have had one). I used to hunt a ton in Bremer, north and west of there and the numbers were incredible at one time. I decided this year that most of my hunting would be much further from home. All of my days this year after opening weekend have been at least an hour or two from home. I want/need to get my pooches on birds this year as much as possible so they actually have a clue on what we're after. ;) I'm sure I'll take a part day or two and hit some old ground just to see if the numbers are any different this year. You should find a bird or two with your pooch if you go... let me know if you chase up a ton of birds when you go! I may be driving for nothing. Best wishes!!

Nice, told you there were birds there this year. I responded to your PM. I am surprised too you did not see any hens. I have been seeing plenty.

Back