Shooting percentage

Sometimes it doesn't matter how many shells I have in.. I can't hit anything. My SX4 will hold 4+1 2.75 shells. 2 years ago I shot my first rooster and I hit him on the 5th shot about 50 yards away.. I was hooked from then on.
My advise: don't shoot more than 3 at a bird. A lot of times, the third shot is out of range.

Years ago when our group pursued Ruffed grouse with passion, we casually kept track of birds flushed, shot at and in the bag. If we flushed 40 birds, we shot at 20 and harvested 10. This was when numbers were good and the cover we hunted offered reasonable shots. If we hunted further north in WI where evergreens were prevalent the story was different as you could have 25 close flushes and never have a clean look and shot. When grouse numbers are up the birds appear in marginal cover and increase opportunities. The birds best chance of escape is the element of surprise and they are good at it. The dog is the equalizer. Prairie birds offered a higher shooting percentage.

I have always felt that shooting pointed pheasants is like shooting free throws in basketball.

You ought to be at least 80%
80% free throws? You must be a pro
I wish! Half the time it gives me heart attack! Hunting this year on a miserable day birds were sitting tight, stomped around for over 30 seconds and couldn’t get the bird to flush. Called my dog to go get’em and he wouldn’t leave point. Finally must have stepped on him for the third time, he takes off, seemed like between my legs. Got done and my chest hurt from being so scared. Fun to laugh at myself. In the course of a year I don’t miss many birds that I should’ve hit. I think my misses come from poor feet placement, and not mounting the gun properly. Those two things can easily be done from a flushing bird underneath your feet. I shoot better when alone too, don’t feel so rushed to beat my fellow hunters to the draw.

If we flushed 40 birds, we shot at 20 and harvested 10.
I wish my grouse harvest percentage was that high. I think my harvest to flush percentage is about 1 out of 40 or so. I can usually find enough birds, but getting one to flush in a location where I can take a reasonable shot is big hurdle. I'm seriously impressed by people who are able to consistently put ruffed grouse into the bag. Its a real challenge, and nothing like hunting pheasants as you stated. Hunting and shooting roosters are like shooting at a house in the open compared to ruffed grouse.

I could see a well-trained pointer being an invaluable asset in the grouse woods. It would allow the hunter to get into position for a reasonable shot.

I wish my grouse harvest percentage was that high. I think my harvest to flush percentage is about 1 out of 40 or so. I can usually find enough birds, but getting one to flush in a location where I can take a reasonable shot is big hurdle. I'm seriously impressed by people who are able to consistently put ruffed grouse into the bag. Its a real challenge, and nothing like hunting pheasants as you stated. Hunting and shooting roosters are like shooting at a house in the open compared to ruffed grouse.

I could see a well-trained pointer being an invaluable asset in the grouse woods. It would allow the hunter to get into position for a reasonable shot.
Well my observation is always shoot at birds regardless of trees. Sometimes there is no open shot. I got one like that last year, no opening just shot at the bird. I told buddy, I was on that bird, I may have hit it. While we were talking my dog brought it back to me. So the moral is: Always shoot if you see it leaving..

Last edited:
I'm just wondering, of the number of shots you take, what percent do you hit? And what do you think the percent is for the average hunter? Only parameters on my question is wild roosters and make-able shots.
Seems I either start the season knocking everything down with a single shot or whiffing and having to take a second shot. Fortunately my dogs forgive me. In off season I try to get to the trap range at least once a month. This has helped. I do tend to choke up when hunting wild birds vs pen raised. also use steel for a large percentage of birds in Washington state, but trips to NODak I still use lead.
If I had to guess, I’d say I take 80% of my birds with a single shot- behind springer spaniels.

If I could shoot 80%, I would only need to load 3 boxes of shells each season. Seems I almost never go 3 for 3, maybe 2 for 2 and then let 2 or 3 more loose to get my 3rd. The fellas that shoot sporting clays or trap/skeet to any degree, I would think they might seldom miss a pheasant.

Years ago when our group pursued Ruffed grouse with passion, we casually kept track of birds flushed, shot at and in the bag. If we flushed 40 birds, we shot at 20 and harvested 10. This was when numbers were good and the cover we hunted offered reasonable shots. If we hunted further north in WI where evergreens were prevalent the story was different as you could have 25 close flushes and never have a clean look and shot. When grouse numbers are up the birds appear in marginal cover and increase opportunities. The birds best chance of escape is the element of surprise and they are good at it. The dog is the equalizer. Prairie birds offered a higher shooting percentage.
Wow, that was exactly what my percentage was when I hunted them hard. They were quit the challenge.

Back