shock collar placement

what is the reasoning behind putting the e-collar around the waist of the dog I've seen this in many pictures of training sessions but noone has given a reason behind it

gcb

i cant believe no one has replied to this yet. i have seen this also and dont no the reason behind this practice. hope someone will chim in.:)

I am no expert on dog training, but my trainer had me put it around the flank when I taught the command 'heel' and 'whoa'. I would assume since both involve movement of the dog, it is easier on the dog to have it in this position. He told me when they both get whoa broke, the collar will then be moved to the neck and they will be re-introduced to the commands with the collar on their neck. I do think the flank is a lot more sensitive. As I said I am no trainer and this is my uneducated reasoning behind it.

Rod

ive trained a few dogs in my day and never had to teach whoa or heel that way and i've only ever seen it done on males

trainers use it in formal obedience for the "sit" command (flushing dogs). The prongs close to the the base of the tail has a tendency to push the dogs butt down.
ive not had to do this , with any dog ive trained, to sit????? ok anybody got more?????:rolleyes:

I never have either but have seen some pics of it bieng used and was wondering why and for what reason

I was told it was used to prevent/stop creeping when on point, using a very low setting or vibrate to stimulate a solid point.

Hot Rod was right on the money. It's a favored position by some trainers as it tends to work a bit better there to stop a dog than when on the neck. They are a bit to a lot more sensitve there in my personal experience. Nothing to do with sex, those that like it use it this way for both sexes.

Thanks TM. As I have said I am no professional trainer, but without talking to my guy that was my best uneducated guess, I do know some dogs can not handle the collar on the flank, one of mine I had to move it up to the head, because she just shut down, always worried that she was going to get nicked even with the collar turned off, I only nicked her once on the lowest setting, and she always shut down when that collar was put around her flank. Well one thing I have learned on training this dogs is it is a lot of fun, and you have to really watch the dog, and understand it. Any way good luck all.

Rod

Found the answer

So while looking up some information on whoa training I found this

"I use a low-level-stimulation collar. It is very important that the dog has already been collar-conditioned. I place the collar on the dogâ??s belly, just behind the rib cage, and put the dog on a 20- to 30-foot check cord. The reason I place the collar here is that when the dog was collar-conditioned the collar was around its neck. The first way the dog learned to turn stimulation off was by heading away. By placing the collar around the abdomen, the dog will not tend to move away when it feels stimulation. Also, with the stimulation coming from its rear, the dog will be less likely to associate it with anything in front of it, namely me-and, later on, a bird."

hope this answers the question a little more clearly

Back