Shelter Belt

You have my sincere admiration for your habitat work CY. Truly build it and they will thrive. God Bless your effort. CY for governor. Got my vote.

Last edited:
Pictures posted above. Not great pictures, as most of what I took were videos, but can't figure out how to upload those from my phone.

~1400 trees in the ground.

Outside snow fence planted with all ninebark. Inside that outside snow catch will be switch grass (seeding that this upcoming weekend), and then the shelter belt itself is 11 rows wide.

3 rows button bush, plum, dogwoods
5 rows Spruce/Cedar
3 rows ninebark, button bush, plum, aronaberry, dogwood

Borrowed the tree planter and weed fabric roller from local county conservation. Had 2 tractors running, 15 guys helping, and had all the trees in the ground and matted around in 4.5 hours.

Myself and a couple friends of mine had another full day and a half or so of prep flagging out the site, moving equipment, prepping everything, etc.

Now we just need some rain and about 10 years!

Hope the rain finds your project, I had just over 1.5" this morning from the night. The radar shows more rain around the region than I have seen for a long time...maybe we will work out of this drought pattern we have been in for 3 years. I transplanted a few ditch cedars, dogwoods and plums recently, so I am loving this rain.

Update: got out and seeded a mix of clovers and alfalfa between all the rows and 30ft around the perimeter of the whole planting. Hoping it will double as a good firebreak as well as excellent brood-rearing and help keep weed pressure down.

Also seeded about 1/2 acre of pure cave-rock switch between the outside “snow fence” rows and the main shelter belt.

Now we hope for rain!

Attachments

• IMG_4623.jpeg
    IMG_4623.jpeg
    552.9 KB · Views: 13
Love the update pics!

I’m working on planting 700 white spruce as a road screen. I’m stuck on what I want to plant between the rows. I am hesitant on switch as it might crowd out the young spruce but don’t really want clover near the road for the deer’s sake.

Attachments

• IMG_4614.jpeg
    IMG_4614.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4626.jpeg
    IMG_4626.jpeg
    5.5 MB · Views: 6
Love the update pics!

I’m working on planting 700 white spruce as a road screen. I’m stuck on what I want to plant between the rows. I am hesitant on switch as it might crowd out the young spruce but don’t really want clover near the road for the deer’s sake.
I sure wish we would have had access to the fabric roller with ours. I believe these fellas run the fabric OVER THE TREES after planting them and the go back and cut a slit and pull the tree through. With that fabric holding back the vegetation for a few years, that switchgrass might not be a bad idea. It seems to stay where you put it. Another great habitat project!

Back