Serious Question

niceshot

Has anyone ever tried to shoot a shotgun with bifocal glasses on? How did it work? Please share your experience/advice.

Has anyone ever tried to shoot a shotgun with bifocal glasses on? How did it work? Please share your experience/advice.

It's a *&#@& bitch!! To put it mildly.

Try shooting the open sight muzzleloader - that is even worse.

At first I would hunt without the bifocal's but after a few more years I needed stronger glasses and so hunting without glasses wasn't an option anymore.

Welcome to mid-age! You can compensate by carrying more shells.

Last edited:
I tried it and the bifocal lines kept getting in the way. As The Bifocal part is mainly for reading, I had a pair of shooting glasses made. These glasses are my regular prescription, for distance and general seeing. Seeing I was having them made for me I got them in the color/tint I liked best for Hunting and Shooting Trap. I can say after having them for several years, they work just fine. I got mine on sale for around $69. Keep a eye out and you see sales on TV and in the newspaper all the time..........Bob

landman, how would it work if you got pair of glasses to correct nearsightedness and/or astigmatism without the bifocal lenses? Would that work any better? I am guessing, but I wouldn't think that you need to see up close (i.e. reading) to shoot roosters.

bifocals

I tried everything I could think of and now I just use my bifocals. I have no line and transition lenses. I find that if I push them as far into my face as they can go it works the best for me. As long as I can see my dogs and walk, shoot and hit birds I am not complaining. BUT planning on it soon!!:)

could be a lot worse. i started wearing bifocals at the ripe old age of 1 1/2. after forty i had to wear tri focals. have never had a problem shooting. some thing i got use to. about 5 years ago i started having very poor eyesight. i was turkey scouting with 2 friends and said hey look at those 3 big toms out in the field. they looked at me strange, where do you see 3 toms? i said right there in the middle of the field. i looked closer and thought thier beards looked funny. i strained my eyes to see better and i t turned out the long beards were the tails of 3 angus cows. time to see eye doctor again:confused: ended up having to wear prism lenses for awhile then had 2 eye surgeries at mayo clinic. after first surgery vision was perfect for awhile them brain couldnt accept it. brain and eyes quit working together and i had distinct double vision not just over lapping images like before 2 of every thing:eek: 2 roads 2 cars 2 stop signs:(:( life sucked tried hunting geese a single looked like a pair. had to quit shooting archery and shotgun for a year second surgery worked brain finally accepts what it sees. have the best vision i have ever had clear. still wear tri focals. take care of your eyes guys vision is a gift we just dont know how great a gift it is until we have problems with it. i was lucky 2 hospitals said there was nothing that could be done for me i was VERY depressed over it. wife got me a referal to mayo clinic and doctor said he could fix me with 2 or 3 operations. glad he did it in 2 operations cause it really sucks having stiches on your eye balls:eek::eek:

Contact lenses.:thumbsup:

They REALLY work! Got to have a pair of reading glasses in your pocket though.

I've been shooting with transition bifocals for nearly 20 years with no problem. However a few years ago I wanted a pair of tinted bifocals, and got lined ones to save a few bucks. I hate them.

Fitting bifocals is more difficult than single vision lenses. Find a really good optomitrist/optician. They had to remake my newest pair twice to get everything lined up correctly.

I once tried one of those "One Hour" places in the mall. The lenses they made were crap.

Niceshot, I sen an ad on T.V. for Lenscrafters. They are real good glasses and I've been using then for trap and birds for about 4 years. But that my change Wednesday ...............Bob

once you find a person good at setting up glasses stick with them worth thier weight in gold. hardest part about getting use to bi or tri focals i accepting fact only one focal plane will be in focus. either the end of gun will be clear and bird will be blurry or vice versa. i prefer to keep target in focus with a shotgun. archery is a whole different story i dont shot target league anymore. looking thru a peep sight at 2" at a scope 40" away at a 20 yard target totally sucks.

I am having a heck of a time with glasses and shooting. A number of years ago I went to the Varilux progressive lens and am having a terrible time shooting. Couple that with no formal shooting instruction and I am shooting poorly. Last week I ordered a pair of Decot prescription shooting glasses and will give them a try when they get here. Now I need to find a good shooting coach or, at least, find a good instructional dvd.

I am having a heck of a time with glasses and shooting. A number of years ago I went to the Varilux progressive lens and am having a terrible time shooting. Couple that with no formal shooting instruction and I am shooting poorly. Last week I ordered a pair of Decot prescription shooting glasses and will give them a try when they get here. Now I need to find a good shooting coach or, at least, find a good instructional dvd.

The tinted bifocals I found so annoying are Hy-Wyds from Decot. Previous single vision glasses from Decot were fine.

If they don't work for you, try to find a good optomitrist/optician to adjust them. I've learned that adjustment is critical with bifocs, not nearly so much with single vision.

However I'm not certain that visual acuity is all that important to good shooting. One of the best shooters I've known was nearly blind from botched cataract surgery, and I can shoot almost as well with my glasses off and 20/200 eyesight.

Us there a trap or skeet club near you? At most any club there will be folks who will be delighted to coach you, and sometimes it's just one or two simple pointers that will improve your shooting greatly.

Last edited:
Back