Seresto Flea Collar Linked to Almost 1,700 Pet Deaths

Dakotazeb

I have had positive results so far with the tick pill. Same company as the heart worm med ... so also no interaction of the drug.

I only give my dogs tick meds in April, May, September and October. Mostly concerned with the deer tick and the pathogens they carry.

It might not be the Bayer Seresto collars that are the problem.

The are a LOT of counterfeit Chinese knockoffs selling on Amazon for around half of what a reliable source (a vet or a valid business) charges.

The knockoffs are very well done and hard to distinguish from a genuine Seresto.

I bought 2 off Amazon and they smelled pretty strong. Didn’t put them on the dogs and hit the net to research. There are subtle differences in the packaging. Mine were clearly bogus.

I’m thinking Bayer has probably sold a huge number of collars. I’d be interested in knowing how many of the ~1700 fatalities came from collars purchased from vets or reputable companies. Probably no way to tell.

I don’t buy dog meds or foods from Amazon. Trying to get complete away from Bezos.

Counterfeiting is a huge issue ... if Amazon facilitates ... they should be held partially responsible ??

Counterfeiting is a huge issue ... if Amazon facilitates ... they should be held partially responsible ??
No, the country of origin and the business they are produced at should be held responsible. That's likely a company in China. They're also responsible for starting this other thing floating around...

I've got more insight to the counterfeit problem than most (married to a patent and trademark attorney). Here are the rules we try to abide by.

1) You get what you pay for (aka too good be true, probably is)
2) Avoid online marketplaces if possible (amazon, ebay, etc)
3) If you do order something from say, Amazon, don't buy anything that goes on you or in you, and this applies to pets as well. You just have no way knowing what is actually in these products.

I've been shown two products that looked EXACTLY the same, but one was a counterfeit and one was straight from the manufacturer. It's really scary. You get a fake phone case, oh well. You get a fake neonicotinoid insecticide, that is something to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Back