September 1st approaches

Seeing the same thing around the normal haunts. I was shocked of the lack of birds though through Holly,Eads,Lamar,LaJunta,Rocky Ford, Manzanola,Pueblo.

Might not have been cold enough to drive them that far South yet. Morning temps in Western KS have been in the mid 50's with the high today being 91.. Plenty of food and no reason to push South. Think that is going to change on Friday.. Looks like forced migration weather is moving in

Should be another wave at some point. I have hunted them in the snow before. I will check on Sunday on that cold front to see what is moving! Nice Grouse Upland!!

Went out to sight in the big guns in the rain and 45 degrees! Took a pop up shelter to keep dry. Saw a few Mourning Dove and quite a few Eurasians.Picked off a few between rifle shots.View attachment 7431

Nice pile of feathers Bleu! Glad you got into them.

This weekend's jaunt to NWKS we saw numerous groups dove the farther we went East. Coming back this morning saw fewer and fewer the closer we got to the front range. Unfortunately we had to cut the weekend short due to rain. Goodland got 1-1/2" last night. Back roads tend to get a bit sporty with a good soaking.

Chicken hunting was tough Saturday. Walked a good 10-12miles wind was blowing a hard 20mph. We woke to the outside temp being 70 and muggy to boot! It got to 72 for the high before the rain moved in.

Flushed 1/2 a dozen quail and a single rooster. We found a few nests and dust bowls with feathers but didn’t see many birds.

Last walk before the lightening chased us out we jumped a pair of chickens. My hunting partner threw a shot and missed. Then rest of the covey flushed 80 yards out and sailed beyond the horizon.

We have one more go this coming weekend before big game takes the next few weekends.

When the snow started in earnest on Saturday afternoon's elk hunt my nephew and I hiked out to head back to camp and pack up (camp would have been just fine, but they were calling for 6"+ at our elevation and the road is bad enough when it's dry so it was time to get moving).

Several grouse were on the trail gravelling early ahead of the storm and 6 arrows and a mile later we had 3.

View attachment 7432

Really nice tom you've got there. At least you got some redemption from missing one earlier in the season. :10sign:

Back