seizures and constant yawning and licking lips

gps4

About 12:50 the day after christmas, my 3 yr old female lab was sleeping soundly on an ottoman in our living room, when all of a sudden, she woke up, jumped to the floor, starting spinning like something was biting her on the haunches, tried to run across the room dragging her rear end, then went into what we suspect was a grand mal seizure for about two minutes. When she came out of that, she layed on the floor on her stomach, looking scared and confused until she got her wits about her.

We immediately called the vet's office and they told us they were open, but the vet wasnt expected in until 2:30. As soon as we got off the phone, my lab went into another seizure. We've never seen her have a seizure before. I thought she was acting like she was poisoned, so we loaded her up and high tailed it to the vet's office. Before we got to the clinic, she had come out of the seizing and was sitting up on her own and watching traffic pass.

When we got to the clinic, she got out of the vehicle and walked in on her own power, wagging her tail and acting like nothing happened. The vet tech told us the vet was still out but was expected back in about 45 mins, and asked us to leave her there for them to examine her. The vet called us about an hour later to tell us the physical exam was normal, blood work was normal, and her eyes looked fine and appeared to be responsinve.

We picked her up that afternoon with instructions to monitor her and document any further seizure activity.

Since we got her home, I notice she constantly licks her lips and yawns while she is awake, i'd say every minute or so. When she sleeps, she doesnt yawn and lick her lips.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If your vet thinks she is fine and you trust your vet and she still shows symptoms of abnormalities than a second opinion to another vet would be a great choice.

Good that she is ok now but I would go off what you saw and get a second opinion. If you have a university vet school within driving distance, I might take the dog over there. They would likely have more experience dealing with this sort of thing.

Back