Seizure

I pray for all the dogs that are going through this issues and other issue. I also pray for the families that are going through them as well. I hope everything is okay! Keep us updated!

As a breed, labs can be genetically disposed towards seizures, the same as EIC. Over the years I've seen several labs have these health issues, and the common thread was they were all backyard breedings by well meaning but limited knowledge amateur owners (not saying Echo is from an amateur breeding). This is one big reason why a person should get pups from professional gundog breeders with established bloodlines. part of what dogs are bred into those bloodlines is health/DNA testing so as not to breed dogs that are genetically pre-disposed to health issues...
I had a dog from a reputable breeder here in CO that had seizures which seemed to be a glucose issue. We previously only were feeding her in the evenings and then after the seizures we gave her some food in the mornings that seemed to help with them. I actually filmed one of them on my Go Pro as it started happening as soon as we got out of the truck and started hunting. A Vet watched the clip and was able to diagnose it right away.

I had a GSP that had a few seizures a month from the time he was three to seven. Vet said they was not much we could about them. Then we got another GSP and he never had another one that we know of until he passed away at 14.
Thank you for the insights. Appreciated.

I had a dog from a reputable breeder here in CO that had seizures which seemed to be a glucose issue. We previously only were feeding her in the evenings and then after the seizures we gave her some food in the mornings that seemed to help with them. I actually filmed one of them on my Go Pro as it started happening as soon as we got out of the truck and started hunting. A Vet watched the clip and was able to diagnose it right away.
Thank you. Hopefully we will not have another one. We will record it if it does occur.

I pray for all the dogs that are going through this issues and other issue. I also pray for the families that are going through them as well. I hope everything is okay! Keep us updated!
Thank you. I said a few prayers about Echo. She is a critical part of my life.

This morning Echo (5.5 year old lab), went into a 1 minute seizure. We had never witnessed her have a seizure. Following the first seizure, she seemed to have another short one, and she subsequently threw up her breakfast. We are planning to take her to the vet tomorrow, unless she has another one today.

This was unexpected and deeply upsetting for my family and me.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?
I have had two dogs that have had seizures. I had a pointer that had them and the first one I saw I thought she was dying, Vet told me to make sure she eats before going hunting and suggested I carry bread and honey and try to give her some of it while out on a hunt. It did seem to help as she did not have very many. I had a setter, and she would slow to a walk and just wander around and then lay down. It was obvious she couldn't see when this was happening. I would give her the diabetic glucose tablets during a hunt and it seems to help. Both dogs were basically done for the day if they had one. I would be interested to hear what your vet tells you

This morning Echo (5.5 year old lab), went into a 1 minute seizure. We had never witnessed her have a seizure. Following the first seizure, she seemed to have another short one, and she subsequently threw up her breakfast. We are planning to take her to the vet tomorrow, unless she has another one today.

This was unexpected and deeply upsetting for my family and me.

Has anyone ever experienced this issue?
Update (8/21/21)

This week my wife observed Echo snapping at imaginary flies. A quick Google search underscored that this is another seizure.

Any thoughts from the group?

I have not witnessed this kind of activity on our seizure prone lab. Sorry to hear this as it must be distressful for all of you.

Seizures are a common side affect of most flea/tick medications. Talk to your vet about possibly changing to different brand.

I have not witnessed this kind of activity on our seizure prone lab. Sorry to hear this as it must be distressful for all of you.
It has been difficult, thank you. We are concerned as the small seizures have not ended. Our vet wants to rule out everything, and end up at epilepsy. We started her on pet CBD from MedTerra. We will give it some time.

My lab had seizures......and ultimately was diabetic. You could talk to your vet about that. It's a simple blood test to check for diabetes.

A note on the snapping at fake flies. My dog does it all the time and it ends up being floating dust....

My lab had seizures......and ultimately was diabetic. You could talk to your vet about that. It's a simple blood test to check for diabetes.

A note on the snapping at fake flies. My dog does it all the time and it ends up being floating dust....
Thank you. We did do the blood work. She doesn't have diabetes. I hope on the snapping at flies.

An update. Perhaps a dog has been on this medication.

Our vet wants Echo to start to take Phenobarbital

A drug that's used to control seizures. Phenobarbital is also used to relieve anxiety.

Does anyone have any experience with this drug.

We have not witnessed another big seizure since the first one.

Back