Seen a Quail...

reddog

In Aurora County no less. We were standing around outside our trucks watching the combines roll and all of the sudden a little cock bobwhite flys in and lands in the fence line next to us. He stands there for 10 seconds or so then heads for cover. I get breez out and she points him. I flush him and he flys out over the picked corn and lands again. Made my trip!.

I think the temps averaged 77 throughout 4 days of hunting, which meant I should have been doing more of this (Wednesday)

20161102_100825.jpg

20161102_102606.jpg

20161102_111143.jpg

20161102_140839.jpg

Instead of this:
20161107_152623.jpg

All in all it was a good trip. I headed out Tuesday afternoon with my Beretta 686, and a Browning A5 20 auto that I wanted to get out sometime.

I fished on Wednesday morning at the river, then headed back east. I activated my license before I left Chamberlain. Got back by MtVernon and decided to hit a few fencelines. Ended up with 1 for the day.

Thursday I had a small, annual corporate hunt and we shot 21 birds by 2 pm, when it was 77 temps and my Breez dog was shot. I hadnt gotten my young dog out, so I took one other guy and we went out at 5. Walked one small brome patch that held 1 hen. Crossed the road and hunted another 25 acre patch with the pup Sky. He pointed where I couldnt see him, but the other guy could, and he walked in and shot a nice rooster. Sky delivered him back to him, and we continued on.. On this venture, Sky was a Rock Star, pup, pointing 9 more hens before sunset sent us on our way.

Friday found us on a new parcel, with not many birds. Came out of there with 5 for the 8 of us. Moved on ward to "The Gauntlet", which is a tough treeline to hunt and usually favors the birds more than the hunters. This time, for whatever reason, it produced well for the guys. I split off early and took my Breez down a draw that I knew held water towards the end. The reason I split off, was that it was hot enough, that I chose to just go in a short sleeved shiirt and a handfull of shells. About 1/4 mile in, it struck me that I also wasnt carrying any water, so I made the decision to hunt by myself towards the water. It was hot, like 82 degrees and she needed a drink, although we were really only on a 1/2 mile hunt (for me) More like 10 miles for her. 100 yards away from the water, she sticks a point. I walk down into the dry creek, and a rooster breaks out to my right. Everything is in slow motion it seems as the bead covers the bill and the little 20 sends its load down the skeet tube. I watch as the shot column reaches out and grabs the bird in a death grip and drags it to the ground. Breez is on him in a flash. I step forward, and another rooster breaks to my left. Same scenario, everything is in slow motion. When that happens, it doesnt bode well for the birds and this guy crumples with 7/8 oz or 6s out of the IC bbl. She delivers both, and with a mouth full of feathers, and breathing hard, its time to find her some water and a cool bath. I let her swim a few minutes, and we walk up to the road for the walk back to the farm.

Im hearing some banging going on to my right, so I know the group is having a good time also. As I approach the driveway to the farm, I hear a couple shots and watch a long tail come sailing right at me from the Gauntlet. It lands on my right side,in a little patch of Kochia in the sunflower stubble. He decides hes going to run to the diitch and cross the road, but by now Im about 50 yards away on the road. He sees me, ducks down and disappears into the mowed ditch. I bring Breez up, and she points for a little in the Kochia patch then moves on, working the bottom of the ditch. She heads 50 yards away from me in the barren ditch and I call her off. Were not playing that game. She comes in reluctantly, and 10 yards a way, summersaults into a point on the side of the road in 4 inch high grass. I walk up slowly and eventually get toe to toe with her. I see the grass hunch up slightly and she fidgets just a tad. I slide my shoe in under the grass and Mr Rooster breaks for the bottom of the ditch on a dead run. At the bottom of the ditch he takes flight and banks to my right. 2 solid misses on my part and I am feeling completely humbled. Its absolutely incredible when that happens, but its also a good thing that it doesnt happen very often. I end the day with two, and as a group, we had 19.

The corporate guys left about 2ish, and a friend of mine and his 14 year old son came in for an evening hunt. They shot 4 in the final hours on Friday. All in all a great day.

to be continued when more time allows.

I started seeing bobwhites in my lilac bushes in the Black Hills, then chukkar. Started asking others and found the guy who owns the local Ford dealer was releasing them. I think he quit after he found a mountain lion laying under his spruce tree and they disappeared after I started seeing feral cats hanging around.

I started seeing bobwhites in my lilac bushes in the Black Hills, then chukkar. Started asking others and found the guy who owns the local Ford dealer was releasing them. I think he quit after he found a mountain lion laying under his spruce tree and they disappeared after I started seeing feral cats hanging around.

You know, I could understand someone releasing them in the hills, or even south of 44, where they used to inhabit SD, but I cannot imagine who releases them in this area. Chukars, maybe. Oh well, it sure was nice to see Mr Bob again, even if it was fleeting..

I was in the Pierre area last week. Great weather! 81 on Monday last week? Anyway, we saw a covey of Quail a half hour east of Wall crossing the road. I'm not sure if that is their range but I've never seen them in SD before.

bobwhite

While hunting north of Pierre this past week I was driving down a dirt road I noticed several bobwhites along the road. I came back about 2 hrs later and walked the ditch, to my surprise my brit pointed a covey of about 20 quail. No doubt they had been released, didn't shoot. I live in Oklahoma and hunt quail for 3 months. Nice to see the covey.

I'm sure that in Aurora county it was a released bird. I use to run into wild Bobwhites in the far SE corner of the state back in the late 80s and through the 90s. I haven't really hunted those areas much since then but have heard they are much rarer then they use to be. I wish they and Huns would come back to the numbers they were in the early years of CRP. You could almost count on a covey or two if you walked along a few Union county creek bottoms. Scared the heck out of me a couple times while stalking deer.

There use to be a bunch of Chukars on the south side of Sioux Falls, still might be. Someone released them and they did pretty well for a while living off of bird feeders.

Tim

Back