Sedgwick CO WIA Limit

MN_Birder

Got out again today to try a new county...

Started the morning off in our first field with a few birds busting way out of range. My roomate hasn't hunted many wild birds and it took him some time to figure out how to zig and push the birds to get quality shooting in front of the dog.

In our second field Bailey pointed down a rooster about 4 times until it finally held about 15 yards from him, flushing across my gun, dropping him hard on the second shot.

We went up, then back across the 1/2mile WIA.. we pushed up the opposite side with the wind in our face, and had a bunch of birds pinned.. we shot 3 layup roosters pointed 5yds in front of the dog in there and missed another three, 2 that used the wind, and one that was just a plain miss..The birds were holding perfect on this walk though.

We moved to an awesome WIA down the road a few miles that had truly great cover. Bailey was able to point a bird we heard cackling. but it busted a bit too far to the side across the field.. however a second bird broke the opposite way where Dan was able to get a shot and take it down.. only to have it reflush when I tried to grab it.. but i shot it again, for good.

We moved down the road again to look for our 6th bird, found a few hens in one spot, then hit a great final WIA that held alot of birds.. we shot our rooster and watched another 2 get up after we already had our limit..

All in all a great day in a new county.

As you can see in the bottom pic we shot 3 yr classes of birds.. 3/6 were juveniles, 2/6 last years birds, and one (the last bird shot) with 1/2" spurrs from 2 years ago.

A couple more pics of us.. I couldn't get the timer on the camera for a group shot but oh well..

Hopefully next time I'll be able to run into a few quail!

cool pics and thanks for sharing...so you are from Minnesota? I have an Air Force buddy is is an Academy grad and is from Minnesota. He has a weim, good guy.

Greg

I am from MN... I grew up in a small town of less than 2500 near fargo-moorhead and got my BA-biology from St. Olaf College in Northfield MN this spring.. .so this is my first year living out of state. Grad school will likely bring me back to the midwest though!

Colorado has been a blast though, I moved out here to work for the USDA forest service, and have been enjoying the mountains/praires/rivers.

MN:

I too hail from the North Land. Grew up in Anoka County went to college in Ashland WI on Lake Superior and stopped in Colorado (on my way to California) to work in ski resort in 1980. Been here since and not tired of it. Welcome.

sdt-evergreen

Another frostbitten Minnesotan here (got here to CO in 96 and couldn't find a good reason to go anywhere else). There are about 10 MN guys I went to HS or college with that had a similar 'epiphany' and also landed here in CO to stay. Seems like a lot of us north country folks decided we liked our snow on tilted surfaces more than a 6 month blanket in the front yard :) (Honestly - it's amazing how many folks from MN/WI that make there way here).

Headed to Phillips & Sedgwick tomorrow for a quickie. Well done limits, MN_Birder!!

I'd consider staying if it wasnt for the grad school aspect, not to mention my siblings at home in the midwest!

Honestly gents, I'd prefer Montana... less folks to share the public land with!

The boots are from dogbooties.com...

I just ordered more because they don't hold up the greatest with a hard running dog, however, this is made up for by their price $2.50/ea... I'm dipping the new ones in tool handle coating to add a more durable shell.. that and a pair of rubber boots is in the near future!

Thanks for the boot info, I'll be curious to hear how the improved dipped version works. My britt suffers in the sand burrs, I've thought about trying boots.

Sorry to get off topic but has anyone tried the Sportsman's Warehouse booties for dogs?

Yeah, Sportsman's has those Avery boots which aren't really worth a shit in my opinion. Maybe if they were less expensive they'd be worth it but the last pair I had lasted about 4 hunts. The glued-on rubber bottom comes off easily leaving the neoprene to wear through very quickly. I do like their "high top" profile with velcro straps, haven't lost one when used with duct tape.

Ultra Paws Rugged

Best boots I've found are the Ultra Paws Rugged. They're a little pricey, but they're the only ones I've found that my pup doesn't throw without having to duct tape them on.

Pretty durable - lasted all season last year, had to get a new set for this year.

Dog seems comfortable in them. Only time they're a hindrance is when there's a lot of ice - they make her slip.

You can get them on Amazon.

Best boots I've found are the Ultra Paws Rugged. They're a little pricey, but they're the only ones I've found that my pup doesn't throw without having to duct tape them on.

Pretty durable - lasted all season last year, had to get a new set for this year.

Dog seems comfortable in them. Only time they're a hindrance is when there's a lot of ice - they make her slip.

You can get them on Amazon.

Thanks for the info. I really need a pair for my lab and GSP. I was about to get the Sportsman's ones.

Nice pics and nice story. I am a Colorado native, but moved away (and all over) when I was a kid. Spent about 18 years in Michigan and Wisconsin - 10 as a wildlife biologist in Michigan. Graduated from Northern Michigan University in the U.P. Been back out here since 2003 and have enjoyed pretty good pheasant hunting strictly on WIA's. I had a female yellow lab that was six when I moved out and we had 5 great years until she was just too old to get more than 1/2 hour or so out of her.

Got another female 3-1/2 years ago, and discovered she had EIC. I still take her out with me and have a 6 month old female that I am bringing up now. But it's been a pretty slow last 3 years ago despite pretty good bird numbers. Actually went out today and my pup flushed a rooster and retrieved it. My older one had an EIC episode as soon as she got into birds so I had to put her back in the car. Saw 18 birds today but most of them flushed way out. Still a fun day and nice to see birds and give the pup experience.

Used to have some pretty good pheasant hunting in Wisconsin but it's better out here. Just miss the lakes and rivers (and walleyes!). Nice to hear the midwesterners doing well out here and enjoying it!

Back