SD Trip 2014

Had a great trip to SD this year. Once again were able to hunt some private ground along with some public and found birds both places but they seemed to be very wild, even on the private which had gotten very little pressure. We still did not see the bird numbers of a few years ago, but there were plenty in most of the areas we hunted.

We also found some prairie chickens and grouse and were able to take a few of those home as well. I would really like to get into the chickens when they will hold for a dog but not sure if we can make it up early in the season, but that has to be fun.

All in all, another great time in South Dakota but it went downhill once I got home. Came back on a Tuesday and on Wed had a spot show up on the front outside part of my left lower leg. Got some antibiotics but that did not help and the area grew to the size of an egg and became very feverish and started draining. I ended up having a sudden surgery the following Wednesday to drain the infection which was diagnosed as MRSA (a form of staph). It put a halt to hunting but I am now on the mend and trying to do a little duck/deer hunting.

If you have something like that, do not let it get too bad. I almost did but luckily the docs got it under control.

Once again, thanks for sharing your state with us and see you next year.

Couple of questions - Can you hunt the public land before 10 am for grouse, rabbits, etc. as long as you do not shoot pheasants till 10?

I was a little confused on orange requirement for small game as well. We always wear it but I saw a few guys on public without it, just curious if I was missing something on the rules. I don't think it is required but it was deer season and here in AR if it is gun deer season, orange has to be worn no matter what type of hunting is taking place.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. You are allowed to hunt public land before ten as long as you are targeting other game during their said season. I.e. ducks, rabbits, deer and so forth. You are not required to wear orange at all while small game hunting. I for one would not go out onto public land without it though. Just my thoughts though.

Back