SD Report

roadscholar

Just spent a week in the SE part of SD on a work assignment. Back home for a few days now, and then I'll go back next week. Was out driving quite a bit, mostly paved roads, but I did go down some gravel roads when I had the chance. The cover is lush and green for sure. Good bit of water standing. Didn't see a lot of birds, but I wasn't driving during the best times. Plus the cover is so thick it would be tricky anyway, unless you catch them on the road. Did see 3 broods. Couldn't tell how many chicks because I just got a glimpse each time. Looked like quite a few though. If I was guessing, there's gonna be a nice bump in numbers from last year.
The most interesting thing was seeing a pair of huns. Been hunting SD for 7 seasons now, and those were the first I've ever seen.

Quite a bit of ammo available. Was in Cabela's & Runnings in Mitchell, Scheel's in Sioux Falls, and Runnings in Brookings. Runnings has many pallets of the Dakota Country phez loads for $14.99 a box. 12 ga 1 & 1/4 oz, mostly 4's but some 5's and 6's too.

Scheel's even had some stuff on sale. They had the Hevi-bismuth 28ga, 7/8 oz of 6's, reg price $55.99 for $29.99 Couldn't resist grabbing 5 boxes of those, now I'm set for a 28ga non-tox load for sharpies & huns for quite some time.

Thats great news. I was wondering how the weather has been while I am trying to decide first week or second. Last year was super hot for the dog. Have things been a little cooler with the rain, and overall a little more normal temps?

I hope as good last year!! Ever year is good in SD.

Attachments

• 20211120_122538 (1).jpg
    20211120_122538 (1).jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 6
Thats great news. I was wondering how the weather has been while I am trying to decide first week or second. Last year was super hot for the dog. Have things been a little cooler with the rain, and overall a little more normal temps?
It's still been mostly hot. Was 107 on Tuesday, but that didn't seem to bother the birds. Drove around a bit that evening not long before a storm blew through. Good number of birds out on the roads, saw some half-grown chicks and one brood of about 10 that were smaller than quail. They could already fly though, which is pretty amazing to me at that size.
The storm that blew through had strong winds, but luckily had no hail at all.

Back